[.net] OpenGL in C#?

Started by
4 comments, last by dmoonfire 16 years, 6 months ago
Hello, Been a while since i have done graphics and am now using C#. Just wonder if the TAO framework is still the number 1 opengl wrapper used in .net? Is there any new ones that are better? What is everyone else using? Cheers
Advertisement
Tao is by far the most popular (look at the download statistics in sourceforge), and it probably is the best tested.

While this sounds like self-promotion, there also is OpenTK (see sig). It basically takes Tao one step further by providing a cleaner, more .Net-like interface. Cross-platform, too, and it can interoperate with Tao if the need arises.

There are others, but none is cross-platform as far as I know.

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

Cool, thanks Fiddler
Curious: Unless you are planning to target Mono, why not use XNA?
Well, an OpenTK application will run on 32- and 64bit Linux and Windows systems with XCOPY deployment (no recompilation needed). If that's not a good reason, I don't know what is.

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

SnprBoB86: In my case, even if I wasn't targeting Mono (which I normally do though), I'd still go with OpenGL, mainly because I know it. I've programmed in it for a fairly long time and already got over the learning curve.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement