2d sprite making

Started by
5 comments, last by macmoy 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi everyone! im currently developing a 2d game in C++! im aiming to make it look like RAGNAROK but the world is also 2D(more likely TRICKSTER). so how can i make nice sprites like the one that RAGNAROK is using?? where can i do this?? any guides,tutorials,etc. are well appreciated.. thanks in advance!!
Advertisement
There are some tutorials about pixel art:
http://petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/

But it isn't something you can learn in just a week or so. It needs a lot of dedication to get some nice looking sprites. It's a little bit frustrating in the beginning
thanks a lot for replying..
for those of you that has an experience in sprite making,,please help me learn it..

i really want to make a sprite with the quality of RAGNAROK's.
You may want to check out the various Pixel Art forum's for additional tutorials and advice they can give, such as Pixeljoint (some good tutorials here), GMPixel, and Pixelation forums.

There's also a really good tutorial that includes some Ragnarok'esk sprites here, unfortunetly its written in japanese i think (translated through google though), may still give you a good idea on some aspects of it.
wow! thanks! the 3rd link is in japanese,,although i can still see the images done by the author..hehe

for those 2d artists there,,please try to help me..

thanks!!
I don't know what your current skill level is artistically, but the first thing you should do is learn to draw. Pixel art is harder than more traditional "analog" artforms because you're more limited, both in palette and in resolution. You don't want to be learning fundamentals of structure, composition, and perspective on a computer; use a pencil instead.

Take a few months to practice drawing, and I mean seriously practice it, and then you should have about enough skill to at least get a start on pixel art. Join one of the dedicated pixel art communities (GD.net is very generalized; you won't get as useful of feedback here), lurk a lot, look at other peoples' work, and do your best to make your own. Again, practice for months and you'll eventually be making something presentable.

The emphasis here is on practicing. You aren't going to be able to just up and make new models for free; otherwise game artists wouldn't be employable. It takes a lot of hard work to make professional-looking graphics.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
i see.. thanks!! i think im average in drawing.. the only thing that i can't draw is the one that has no copy..hehe
thats true,,i can't have new characters on my own..

in pixelart, what should i do first? i mean how to outline?(where:adobe,paint,etc)
please,,step-by-step instruction..
thanks!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement