A Versioning Site

Started by
11 comments, last by Saberball 16 years, 6 months ago
First off let me just say that I'm not sure if this is the place I should put this or not. If it's not feel free to move it. Ok I was thinking about setting up some servers with versioning software on them (in paticularly I was thinking subversion) and then selling repositories for them. I was thinking I would charge something like $10/month for every 10GB of space. Before I went ahead and spent the money on the servers and the hosting everything I thought I'd see if there was any interest in this sort of thing out there. Please give me any thoughts or suggestions you might have on this topic. Thanks in advance for all the help and if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask away.
Advertisement
Maybe a better explanation of what you're offering and what potential clients would get would clarify your question. I understand versioning software to be something that tracks versions of software under development? I'm not sure what you're saying, that's all. I'm not going to pay for something when I have know idea what it is.
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
Quote:Original post by NickHighIQ
Maybe a better explanation of what you're offering and what potential clients would get would clarify your question. I understand versioning software to be something that tracks versions of software under development? I'm not sure what you're saying, that's all. I'm not going to pay for something when I have know idea what it is.

While it is a good idea the OP does give more details on the various packages available, if you don't know what it is, then you probably aren't going to be using it :D
ok how about I give you a simple example of what you would get. When you purchased it you would get 10GB of space on the server for your repository. Now that being said lets say you have a 10 man team of programmers and all of them working on different functions that will all be in one file. There would be one shared copy off that file in your repository and each member of the team have there one working copy that they can modify and put there code on. Every so often while they were coding they could perform a commit putting the modification they've made to there working copy into the shared copy. At the same time they or someone else on the team could perform an update to there working copy getting all the modification the whole team has perform to the file. In addition to this if at some point in the process of coding the goes horribly wrong with the program and you can't figure out whats wrong or it would take forever to fix you could revert the file back to an older version that still worked rather than have to do it by hand. I do believe you can do this with art as well.

If you want you can check out this link to the subversion website
That's what I thought, honestly, just didn't want to look like an idiot... seems I failed at it. Ten dollars a month, hey? Presumably American dollars? So that's about $16-$18 Australian dollars a month... For the services you're providing I would very much be willing to pay that. On a project of any reasonable magnitude its impractical to do it by hand, so yes, I would. I'm not sure how many teams there are out there that are looking for a solution to this problem, however, so I can only help you as to my honest opinion.
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
The price he's offering is very reasonable. Only a handful of shared hosts offer svn, and things like sourceforge are for opensource projects only. So not a bad deal at all. I believe your success will be based on how well you market. Best of luck.
That would be useful indeed! :)

If I'm doing a school project with some fellow students and for some reason I don't want to (or I can't) open-source the project - I don't think I'd need more than 500MB...

On the other hand. If I'm doing some big game and I'm using the same repository for the code and the art (music, graphics), then the 10GB limit might be exceeded too,

You should offer more configurations. Something like this:
0.5GB - $3/month
1GB - $6/month
5GB - $8/month
10GB - $10/month
15GB - $12/month
And so on.

Also, what would be the process of configuring the repository (adding/removing users, setting user permissions)?
One of the most if not the most determining factors is the servers uptime. There is nothing worse than trying to get a branch or updating and having down time, the price you quote is very reasonable; yet I am sure many people working on there own projects or non profit team projects do what I have and set up apache with svn resulting in a cost of £0.00
And how often is all data backed up? Nothing worse then all your code gone becouse you spilled some beer (or coffie) over the server.
if (*pYou == ASSHOLE) { pYou->Die(); delete pYou; };
Quote:Original post by Tjaalie
And how often is all data backed up? Nothing worse then all your code gone becouse you spilled some beer (or coffie) over the server.

I think you should be more worried if he has beer near the server at all.

OP: Sounds like a good plan. I agree with the tiered system as well.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement