header file not recognized... HELP!!!

Started by
12 comments, last by opiaboy 16 years, 6 months ago
Ok, I posted earlier that I was having problems with this code... for some reason, the compiler I am using (Visual C++ 2005 Express edition) gives me this error: ------ Build started: Project: load_bitmap, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------ Compiling... winmain.cpp c:\users\ethan\c++ stuff\load_bitmap\winmain.cpp(6) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'd3d9.h': No such file or directory Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\Ethan\C++ Stuff\load_bitmap\Debug\BuildLog.htm" load_bitmap - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s) ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ========== I am unsure why it fails to recognize d3d9.h. I have the header file; it is in the Microsoft DirectX SDK (April 2006). Any help would be appreciated!!! Here is the full code, although I'm sure all of it isn't needed to determine the problem. It never hurts to be safe! Thanks for any help! // Beginning Game Programming, 2nd Edition // Chapter 6 // Load_Bitmap program //header files to include #include <d3d9.h> #include <d3dx9.h> #include <time.h> //application title #define APPTITLE "Create_Surface" //macros to read the keyboard asynchronously #define KEY_DOWN(vk_code) ((GetAsyncKeyState(vk_code) & 0x8000) ? 1 : 0) #define KEY_UP(vk_code)((GetAsyncKeyState(vk_code) & 0x8000) ? 1 : 0) //screen resolution #define SCREEN_WIDTH 640 #define SCREEN_HEIGHT 480 //forward declarations LRESULT WINAPI WinProc(HWND,UINT,WPARAM,LPARAM); ATOM MyRegisterClass(HINSTANCE); int Game_Init(HWND); void Game_Run(HWND); void Game_End(HWND); //Direct3D objects LPDIRECT3D9 d3d = NULL; LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 d3ddev = NULL; LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 backbuffer = NULL; LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 surface = NULL; //window event callback function LRESULT WINAPI WinProc( HWND hWnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam ) { switch( msg ) { case WM_DESTROY: Game_End(hWnd); PostQuitMessage(0); return 0; } return DefWindowProc( hWnd, msg, wParam, lParam ); } //helper function to set up the window properties ATOM MyRegisterClass(HINSTANCE hInstance) { //create the window class structure WNDCLASSEX wc; wc.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX); //fill the struct with info wc.style = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW; wc.lpfnWndProc = (WNDPROC)WinProc; wc.cbClsExtra = 0; wc.cbWndExtra = 0; wc.hInstance = hInstance; wc.hIcon = NULL; wc.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW); wc.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)GetStockObject(WHITE_BRUSH); wc.lpszMenuName = NULL; wc.lpszClassName = APPTITLE; wc.hIconSm = NULL; //set up the window with the class info return RegisterClassEx(&wc); } //entry point for a Windows program int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) { // declare variables MSG msg; // register the class MyRegisterClass(hInstance); // initialize application //note--got rid of initinstance HWND hWnd; //create a new window hWnd = CreateWindow( APPTITLE, //window class APPTITLE, //title bar WS_EX_TOPMOST | WS_VISIBLE | WS_POPUP, //window style CW_USEDEFAULT, //x position of window CW_USEDEFAULT, //y position of window SCREEN_WIDTH, //width of the window SCREEN_HEIGHT, //height of the window NULL, //parent window NULL, //menu hInstance, //application instance NULL); //window parameters //was there an error creating the window? if (!hWnd) return FALSE; //display the window ShowWindow(hWnd, nCmdShow); UpdateWindow(hWnd); //initialize the game if (!Game_Init(hWnd)) return 0; // main message loop int done = 0; while (!done) { if (PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE)) { //look for quit message if (msg.message == WM_QUIT) done = 1; //decode and pass messages on to WndProc TranslateMessage(&msg); DispatchMessage(&msg); } else //process game loop (else prevents running after window is closed) Game_Run(hWnd); } return msg.wParam; } int Game_Init(HWND hwnd) { HRESULT result; //initialize Direct3D d3d = Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION); if (d3d == NULL) { MessageBox(hwnd, "Error initializing Direct3D", "Error", MB_OK); return 0; } //set Direct3D presentation parameters D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp; ZeroMemory(&d3dpp, sizeof(d3dpp)); d3dpp.Windowed = FALSE; d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD; d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8; d3dpp.BackBufferCount = 1; d3dpp.BackBufferWidth = SCREEN_WIDTH; d3dpp.BackBufferHeight = SCREEN_HEIGHT; d3dpp.hDeviceWindow = hwnd; //create Direct3D device d3d->CreateDevice( D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hwnd, D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, &d3dpp, &d3ddev); if (d3ddev == NULL) { MessageBox(hwnd, "Error creating Direct3D device", "Error", MB_OK); return 0; } //set random number seed srand(time(NULL)); //clear the backbuffer to black d3ddev->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0,0,0), 1.0f, 0); //create surface result = d3ddev->CreateOffscreenPlainSurface( 640, //width of the surface 480, //height of the surface D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8, //surface format D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, //memory pool to use &surface, //pointer to the surface NULL); //reserved (always NULL) if (result != D3D_OK) return 1; //load surface from file into newly created surface result = D3DXLoadSurfaceFromFile( surface, //destination surface NULL, //destination palette NULL, //destination rectangle "legotron.bmp", //source filename NULL, //source rectangle D3DX_DEFAULT, //controls how image is filtered 0, //for transparency (0 for none) NULL); //source image info (usually NULL) //make sure file was loaded okay if (result != D3D_OK) return 1; //return okay return 1; } void Game_Run(HWND hwnd) { //make sure the Direct3D device is valid if (d3ddev == NULL) return; //start rendering if (d3ddev->BeginScene()) { //create pointer to the back buffer d3ddev->GetBackBuffer(0, 0, D3DBACKBUFFER_TYPE_MONO, &backbuffer); //draw surface to the backbuffer d3ddev->StretchRect(surface, NULL, backbuffer, NULL, D3DTEXF_NONE); //stop rendering d3ddev->EndScene(); } //display the back buffer on the screen d3ddev->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL); //check for escape key (to exit program) if (KEY_DOWN(VK_ESCAPE)) PostMessage(hwnd, WM_DESTROY, 0, 0); } void Game_End(HWND hwnd) { //free the surface surface->Release(); //release the Direct3D device if (d3ddev != NULL) d3ddev->Release(); //release the Direct3D object if (d3d != NULL) d3d->Release(); } Ok, no more code. Thanks again for any help at all!!!
Advertisement
Hello,

When using the brackets (<>) when #including a file, MSVC++ looks in it's standard Include directory. If d3d9.h is not there, it will give you that error.

Either:

• Insure d3d9.h and d3dx9.h are inside of this include directory, and their corresponding library files are inside of the lib\ directory...

Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/VC/Include/
    Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/VC/Lib/

• Or, Add them to additional include and library directories. To do this, Go to your project settings...

Configuration Properties->C/C++->General Set Additional Include Directories to point the directory where d3d9.h resides;

Configuration Properties->Linker->General Set Additional Library Directories to point the directory where d3d9.lib resides.
  • ok, i posted the include files into VC like you said... but I'm not sure about the libraries. There are 2 folders where I can grab those from, one being X64, the other being X86. I'll try each, and see what happens.
    You want the ones in X86, Not X64.
    I tried your first bullet, and that did not solve my problem. I am going to try the second bullet here soon...
    Ok, I think the files are being included, but I am still getting an error... here it is:

------ Build started: Project: load_bitmap, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    Compiling...
    winmain.cpp
    c:\program files\microsoft directx sdk (april 2006)\include\d3d9.h(40) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'objbase.h': No such file or directory
    Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\Ethan\C++ Stuff\load_bitmap\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    load_bitmap - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I believe objbase.h is called by d3d9.h, but I can not find objbase.h anywhere. Any idea what is wrong?
    Hello,

Did you install the Win32 PSDK? objbase.h is part of the Win32 SDK. By default, MSVC++ 2005 does not come with it. You can easily test if it has been installed correctly by #include <windows.h>.

If you have not installed it yet, uninstall the DirectX SDK, and install the Win32 PSDK first. Download it HERE. Insure to follow all instructions properly.

If it has already been installed, then the configurations are still not set correctly.

---

Also, the first bullet is guaranteed to work as long as you have all prerequisites set up.
    ok, here was an error I got... downloaded the stuff you told me too, i had to get those 4 files, 2 headers and 2 libs, and email them to myself, then get them off the internet to use at school. anyway, i put those files in thier correct places after installing the thing you siad, and this is the error i got...

--------------------Configuration: Load_Bitmap - Win32 Debug--------------------
    Compiling...
    winmain.cpp
    c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\d3d9.h(211) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'd3d9types.h': No such file or directory
    Error executing cl.exe.

Load_Bitmap.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

I am not sure what to do now... thanks for any help!
    Quote:Original post by opiaboy
    ok, here was an error I got... downloaded the stuff you told me too, i had to get those 4 files, 2 headers and 2 libs, and email them to myself, then get them off the internet to use at school. anyway, i put those files in thier correct places after installing the thing you siad, and this is the error i got...

--------------------Configuration: Load_Bitmap - Win32 Debug--------------------
    Compiling...
    winmain.cpp
    c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\d3d9.h(211) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'd3d9types.h': No such file or directory
    Error executing cl.exe.

Load_Bitmap.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

I am not sure what to do now... thanks for any help!

What do you mean you "got those 4 files"? Actually, let me step back for a moment. Follow these instructions to correctly install the platform SDK. If you didn't install the SDK it won't work. It sounds like you didn't actually install the SDK so much as copy a couple files over. But the SDK has far more than a few files and a large chunk of them will be necessary as many files include many other files. So, to summarize: Actually install the SDK by following the directions I linked to. Hope that helps.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

I actually downloaded the platform sdk... i was talking about the directx sdk. I couldn't download the directx sdk, so I just sent the files I needed to myself, which were d3d9.h, d3dx9.h, d3d9.lib, and d3dx9.lib. Those were the files that I needed from the directx sdk. I put those 2 .h files in the header folder, and the 2 .lib files in the library folder, and the platform sdk was downloaded before I did that. So... what went wrong? lol... sorry for all this trouble!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement