Where do i start?

Started by
8 comments, last by Count_Zero99uk 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi there gamedev, Ive just found you and you look and interesting place for me to be. Im 31 and am interested in making games :) arnt we all. However i know this will be a long and arduous (hmm spelling) journey. I programmed in Spectrum Basic many many moons ago and have attempted to learn from books but find them all a bit bland. I really dont know where to start or what language to use. I have attempted C++ just because I saw "most of the industry uses it" somewhere. I have however concidered looking at Dark Basic and or Blitz Basic. Any welcolm messages, pointers or just general aid will be met with great thanks. Kind Regards Zero.
Advertisement
"Where do I start?"

Start here: Forum FAQ

-me
Thanks,

Wanders over to the FAQ
Quote:Original post by Count_Zero99uk
I have attempted C++ just because I saw "most of the industry uses it" somewhere.
That isn't neccesarily a particularly good reason. Any programming language will do, so don't force yourself to use C++ if you're finding it overly difficult just because it's what the professionals often use.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by jbadams
I have attempted C++ just because I saw "most of the industry uses it" somewhere.
That isn't neccesarily a particularly good reason. Any programming language will do, so don't force yourself to use C++ if you're finding it overly difficult just because it's what the professionals often use.

Exactly. Lots of people who come here and learn C++, say their reason is because it is what the industry uses. If you find C++ difficult, then maybe C# is your cup of tea. Or maybe even Python.

Chad

So is C# easyer than C++ i assumed it would be the same but with more bits.
C# is generally considered to be a lot more approachable for beginners, yes. It can also be very productive for experienced programmers due to the wealth of functionality provided via .NET and can be an excellent way to get into games, particularly when used with XNA.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Right im going to try and work through the C++ Workshop forum

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=76

and see how that goes.

I just wonder if its still veiwed, ie if i post a query will it be answered?
I just wonder if its still veiwed, ie if i post a query will it be answered?
Probably; if you post a question in the workshop forum and it doesn't seem to be getting any attention you can always try again in the For Beginners forum, I think it should still be noticed in the workshop one though.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement