Sign in to follow this  

Being a producer, know how.

This topic is 3728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, This is not exactly on-topic with this forum, but most people involved in game design and production process are usually lurking here. I'm considering taking an (associate) producer position, and I was hoping that you could point me towards some resources describing the usual duties (those vary, i know) of that position, as well as some techniques and other friendly tips to get by as a producer. Any resources regarding the basic paradigms and techniques of game design would be terrific too (so far I've gone through majority of lostgarden.com). I have already gone through whole of sloperama, so it gives me a bit of perspective on how it is handled. Any additional resources or advice are very welcome. Thanks for your help in advance.

Gamasutra.com is a good source for allot of information but it is mostly conceptual, at least what I've seen so far. Grats on the job and hope it works well for you.

Quote:
Original post by Hero Atanque
Dont forget about The Game Producers Handbook-Dan Irish <Great Book>

Is this book really different from "Game Production Handbook" advised by Tom? The titles look VERY similar, you have to admit it ;-)

Quote:
Original post by tsloper
Why don't you just go look them up on amazon.com???

In fact I did, Tom. And this did not yield many results, as the book proposed by you has close to no user comments, and synopsis is more or less the same in both cases, apart from fact that Irish's book is based on a real game and Chandler's is based on a fictious project (but with industry insiders!).

That is why I have asked which of those has more useful matter to it, as apparently both of you have (?) read the proposed titles and could elaborate more regarding those positions.

I have already ordered the proposed set of books from amazon when you have replied originally, and I am thinking now about modifying/cancelling it depending on the usefulness of Irish's book. I have also taken 'rules of the game' as it seems like a decent position about game dev in general.

Thanks for the replies, and please save the oneliners for people that might actually need them ;-)

This topic is 3728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.