Using Artificial Intelligence within an Operating System Enviroment

Started by
13 comments, last by Vorpy 16 years, 6 months ago
I am just wondering if this is feasible or not but can AI be used within an operating system kernel?
Advertisement
Why?
maybe for the heck of it..
AI can be used for example to manage threads, to confirm halting properties if possible...
Maybe you're aiming at a very high level operating system, a platform perhaps like .NET... Probably there is some kind of 'simple' AI for garbage collection and things like that.
The more you think about AI in a specific subject, the less it's clear what AI is..

My 0.5 cents
[ my blog ]
Thanks for the replys, perhaps AI can be used for file lookups within a file system to find the most economical way possible of locating file sectors within the shortest amount of time instead of using say a tree like system. I also like your idea Arithma of using AI for the management of multi-tasking systems, and memory management.
This reminds me of a macro program someone put together for the Mac OS. It would sit around and wait for you to do things.
If it ever determined that you were just repeating the same set of steps over and over, it would sugest an automation,
let you confirm that the automation did in fact do what you were doing, and would then finish the task in the background
and tell you when it was done.
I think if you're using AI to do things like maximise performance then you're going to run into the problem where you're actually wasting time trying to find a better solution when really I would have been quicker to just do it. An example is when windows spends more time calculating how long it'll take to copy a file, than it does actually copying the file.

AI generally takes quite a bit of processing which makes it a waste to use it to find better performance in a realtime system. I'm not saying AI in an OS wouldn't have it's uses, I just think it's the wrong tool for the job.
Quote:Original post by instinKt
<snip> An example is when windows spends more time calculating how long it'll take to copy a file, than it does actually copying the file.</snip>

Especially when it says "4,238,923 minutes remaining".

Yes i do see what you mean about the AI performance risk but isn't that risk very similar to the current type of implimentatios we have these days within the operating systems we use? for instance the file indexing service of a file system has to do quite a bit of processing to write or retrieve a file.
I think you're going to have to be more specific when you say "AI". Most (probably all) operating systems use heuristics, estimations, predictions, and other kinds of "smart" programming that would probably fall under the very broad umbrella of AI. Even search algorithms can be called AI.
For instance can AI algorithms like A* be adapted for use in file systems to locate data?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement