Using Artificial Intelligence within an Operating System Enviroment

Started by
13 comments, last by Vorpy 16 years, 6 months ago
Ok. No. A* is for pathfinding not for databasing.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by GameMasterXL
Yes i do see what you mean about the AI performance risk but isn't that risk very similar to the current type of implimentatios we have these days within the operating systems we use? for instance the file indexing service of a file system has to do quite a bit of processing to write or retrieve a file.

Yes but simply because it's used today does not mean it's a good thing. I very much dislike the direction Microsoft are taking their OS.
Do we count mouse gestures as AI? Or speech recognition for that matter...?

Doesn't all the stuff in Office that tries to guess what you want to do count as AI?
The guessing stuff is very much A.I.

Probably some sort of bayes inferencing, which is often also used in things like spam detection.

Infact, I think there are a lot of places where bayes inferencing could be applied to OS's, both at the back end and at the front end

Quote:Original post by d000hg
Do we count mouse gestures as AI? Or speech recognition for that matter...?

Doesn't all the stuff in Office that tries to guess what you want to do count as AI?

Do we count these things as part of an OS? Is the windows shell part of the OS? Are the drivers for a microkernel architecture part of the OS?

The original question was about operating system kernels. Now in an ideal design, I don't think any of those things would be part of the kernel.

A* could potentially be used for optimizing database query plans, just like any other search algorithm.

Anything could be used in an operating system kernel, and anything could be put in the kernel. If a database is part of a kernel, and the file system uses complex database techniques, then A* can be used to optimize its query plans. You could make a kernel where processes fight each other inside of a real time strategy game which is controlled by the kernel. It doesn't make any sense, but it is possible.

Heuristics are used for scheduling processes. Is this AI?

To really answer the original question, we'd need to answer two difficult questions: what is an OS kernel, and what is AI?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement