Is Dev-Cpp still Supported ??

Started by
30 comments, last by cignox1 16 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by grofaz
My pc can handle the install, I just don't want to install it.

I've used MS stuff in the past and I know all about it, well enough about it anyway. :)

I know I don't want it on my machine. It's not a MS political thing, it's a product thing.

I use masm32 which is MS stuff too. But it's nice and lean.

Apples and oranges.

VS has felt large and chunky in the past and I refused to use it for some time, but I have come back to the express versions of their IDE and I am very impressed.

Say what you want about Microsoft but I don't think you'll get anyone who knows what he's talking about telling you that the current versions of VS are not good.

Like others have said, what ever IDE you use, you'll have to install SDKs which are usually quite large, but there's no getting past that if you want to develop using these SDKs. As far as Dev-C++ coming with the platform SDK, I've heard that it's some "chopped down", bastardised version of the SDK.

My advice is get over the unsubstantiated stigma about VS and use it.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by grofaz
My pc can handle the install, I just don't want to install it.

I've used MS stuff in the past and I know all about it, well enough about it anyway. :)

I know I don't want it on my machine. It's not a MS political thing, it's a product thing.

What product thing? Microsoft Visual C++ Express is free, stable and robust enough for most projects. How does that not meet your criteria? The only alternative offered up is CodeBlocks which is also free, but definitely not as stable as Visual C++ Express.

Personally I use CodeBlocks with Ubuntu, but wouldn't choose it for Windows since there is a better tool for the job. So I'm really interested in what you 'know all about' Microsoft's present offerings. What is it that makes them inferior?

I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
I'm new here, so I don't know what you mean by "supported", but I've been using Eclipse with the C/C++ development toolkit (CDT), and using MinGW as my toolchain. It's not quite as nice for windows-specific stuff, but is decent and free (in both senses).
Nothing wrong with MS, if you like it YOU use it.

I don't want to,

grofaz...out
grofaz, you do realize that MASM is actually a part of Visual Studio, right? I realize you can get it as a separate install as MASM32 (much the way VSTookKit was to the whole of Visual Studio), but it is indeed a part of Visual Studio.

You can also have all of the variants of win32 projects with ONLY assembly files if you wish. Infact, VS 2005 and beyond directly supports syntax hilighting and line-based debugging for assembly products (induction of usertype.dat is necessary for hilighting). I use it for assembly projects myself (not exclusively).

You should try it sometime, you might like it.

P.S. I do understand the whole "lean and mean" mentality, which is why I use assembler for selective optimization in my projects. And please, for the love of all that is good in the programming world, do not use dev-cpp.
OK, cool

grofaz
wxDev-C++
Code::Blocks
Eclipse
Eclipse and NetBeans both have c++ plugins which will give a familiar feeling application if you are used to DevC++.
_________My Blog
what's with everybody trying to cram visual studio down his throat? if he doesn't want to use it then he doesn't want to use it.

as far as non-MS IDEs go my vote goes to code::blocks, i was also looking at MinGW Developer Studio, haven't tried it but it might be worth checking out.
As another alternative you can try RadASM. Not only is it the premiere assembly IDE for win32, but it also supports many other languages including c++. It is written entirely in assembly so it is lightweight and rather fast. ;)

It officially supports msvc 6 but you can coerce it into using msvc7+. Includes resource editor, dialog editor, code completion, etc. Works with HLA, too. Having used assembler you might already be aware of this, but I thought I might throw it out there for you. This is what I was referring to when I said "not exclusively" when speaking of Visual Studio with assembly source.

http://www.radasm.com/download/radasm.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement