Is Dev-Cpp still Supported ??

Started by
30 comments, last by cignox1 16 years, 6 months ago
...and if not what's a good alternative ? I have MS crap and would like very much not to use it, so I'm looking for something good but less bloated. Regards, grofaz
Advertisement
nope. no longer supported. Try Code-Blocks or Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition. Both are free and great

-me
Thanks me,

I thought not since it's been so long in updating. Too bad, Dev-Cpp was nice.

I'll give Code-Blocks another try I guess. I want to stay away from MS stuff since it always takes over the machine. I want it lean & mean, get me ?

Cheers!
grofaz
You know there's nothing wrong with not liking Microsoft... That's your prerogative. But, not using their tool (visual studio express) which is free and by far the most effective for pretty much any job, is just plain ignorance.

Now under linux obviously you can't use VS express but if you on a windows machine I see no reason why it's a bad idea to use. And what was so good about dev-cpp? For the short time I used it three years ago I hated it.
~Mark Schadler
Visual Studio is an excellent IDE and does not "take over the machine."
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Visual Studio is an excellent IDE and does not "take over the machine."

Agreed. There's no better IDE on Windows (and nothing that even comes close).
Ra
Quote:
I have MS crap and would like very much not to use it, so I'm looking for something good but less bloated.

If you really refuse to use MS products I dont think you're going to find anything as good as VS. Really, I don't think theres anything even in the same league. If you find something, please link me. :)

Out of curiosity though - what about VS is bloated?
[size="1"]"For any absurd set of thinking, you can probably find a non-zero percentage of the population who is utterly convinced of its truth."
Minimum installation requirements are 1.3 GB for Visual Studio C++, then there's the paltform SDK, DirectX SDK, etc, etc, etc....

I don't recall the size of Dev-C++ but the package was around and about 300 MB more or less.

I can live with masm32 and hla on Windows thank you very much.

Else I got Linux covered.

Enjoy,
grofaz
Quote:Original post by grofaz
Minimum installation requirements are 1.3 GB for Visual Studio C++, then there's the paltform SDK, DirectX SDK, etc, etc, etc....

I don't recall the size of Dev-C++ but the package was around and about 300 MB more or less.

I can live with masm32 and hla on Windows thank you very much.

Else I got Linux covered.

Enjoy,
grofaz

You'd have to setup the DX SDK or any SDK regardless of what compiler or IDE you use. Though Dev-C++ did work with Win32 out the box, it's doesn't handle managed code either. Plus most modern or computers from 2002 can handle a 1.3 GB install. What kinda computer do you have?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

My pc can handle the install, I just don't want to install it.

I've used MS stuff in the past and I know all about it, well enough about it anyway. :)

I know I don't want it on my machine. It's not a MS political thing, it's a product thing.

I use masm32 which is MS stuff too. But it's nice and lean.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement