Sign in to follow this  

Starting my own Math & Physics Engine

This topic is 3728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I'm starting my own math & physics engine the (math library) in case the physics needs to computer derivatives, integration, inverse matrices, etc.. before actually calculating any physics equations. I plan to make this physics math engine in C++ and have it easily integrated into any 2D Graphics library like SDL, QT, or Allegro. My only question is besides trial and error, and the knowledge of Math and Physics that I do have is there any correct way of starting a physics engine? Any correct place to start (I'm guessing an advance math class that I mentioned earlier) and are there any places out there that could get me started? Thanks, Numb3rz

Sweet. Lot's of NC people on here. I'm originally from Asheville (Swannanoa) and go to UNC.

As for your post, let me first start by saying this: making a production-level physics engine is a harrowing task that takes even the most experienced programmers months to complete. I've been working on mine for almost a year and I'm finally getting something that's worth releasing.

I'm assuming that you want to make a 2D engine, so this simplifies things quite a bit. But in reality, the hardest part about making a physics engine is the software design aspect, more-so than the math or physics part. Ideally, you should have a physics world class that manages physics objects, which have collision shapes. A physics world should have a collision world, which is essentially the class that takes care of collision detection. Additionally, you can add constructs for force applicators (springs, thrusters, etc.) and constraints (joints).

But I guess the best way to do it is in fact trial and error.

If you want a more detailed description of my engine I'll be happy to write one up.

This topic is 3728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.