[C#] How to create a local database file with no connection to a server

Started by
14 comments, last by Kylotan 16 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by SimonForsman
Quote:Original post by let_bound
Embedding the MySQL engine will likely require you to licence your code under the GPL, FWIW. If that's not your intention, read the licence.

MySQL has multiple licences, you can either use the GPL licence or pay for a custom proprietary licence.

http://www.mysql.com/oem/licensing.html

Sorry, I should have added "if you don't want to pay for a proprietary licence".
Advertisement
[opinion]
I think a full DB option is major over kill in this case. An XML file can do everything the OP wants with less overhead and be human readable. Just because you think you need something doesn't mean you do.
[/opinion]

theTroll
+ 1 for FireBird.
We had a T-SQL database embedded in a PS2 game once. WORST IDEA EVER.
My company recently deployed an application which uses SQL Server Express for local storage. It has worked very smoothly, and if the clients want to later scale to heavier versions (MSSQL Standard, Enterprise), we only need to modify a single connection string in the application configuration.

SQL Server Express is extremely cost-effective because it can be distributed royalty-free (you do need to accept a distribution agreement). The only downside is that the database engine can only be installed in Windows environments.

As Mutex said, there is even a lighter version available, called SQL Server Compact edition. This engine is robust enough to easily embed a database in your application, but it does sacrifice some scalability features as compared to Express and up.

Niko Suni

SQLite has been fine for all the applications I've needed an embedded database for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement