Sign in to follow this  

I want to make a 3D game...

This topic is 3727 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I wish to make a 3D game without having to type or learn any programming... but i still want to design my characters, props, maps, etc. What tools do i need to use this? i've made maps for counter-strike: source before... is there a tool from valve that lets me do what i want? Thanks! sorry for the questions, i'm only a noob... Mortagen

What you're asking for is what most newbie programmers/game developers ask for a lot it is "Hey, I want to make a 3D game without doing absolutely to near to nothing" but the thing is game design, especially 3d game programming is nothing more than programming.

So here is my advice.

1.) First download GameMaker just to see how you start making 2d games. (My advice is you can't really understand the 3d world until you understand the 2d world)

2.) Learn Basic, JustBasic and see how programming starts out to be

3.) Once you're comfortable with what programming is, and the idea of game making in the 2d world do your research on what game development really is, what programming really is, and research the different languages that are out there. You'll probably find C#, C++, Java, Basic, Assembly, Delphi, Python, javascript, (Not all for game programming)

4.) Do your research in that language learn what it is, and pick another if you wish.

5.) Code each day, design games each day (not necessarily making games a day, but just learning game design, and learning programming and applying what you learn in programming for game design and vice versa is a good idea)

6.) Start making some goals first like a pong game, and then maybe a tetris, or pacman game, or a mastermind game, and then just work your way up from there

7.) start researching in some game libraries that will simplify your task as a programming/game designer

8.) Once you get good at that start out with some 3D programming once you're well comfortable with programming languages, and their API's and how to use them.

9.) Start researching in 3D programming OpenGL/DirectX

10.) Make goals/projects and complete them

11.) Start researching in 3D libraries/game engines that will simplify the task that you're trying to accomplish

Good Luck there really is no way to make a good 3d game with no coding

If you want look at Torque is the easiest 3d game creator I know of but it's a game engine

Quote:
without having to type

Most of the game design (including props, characters, locations, backgrounds, etc.) involves very heavy typing. If you don't, you'll probably find yourself head-first into your project with no idea of your original goal.

To put it frankly, making games is a pain. Making a game requires you to do constant mental hard-labor. This is coming from a solo, hobbiest 3d game developer though, so I would imagine it is a lot funner to do with a group of people (assuming you mesh well with them and their ideas). You do get a nice feeling of joy after accomplishing something though, especially as you can see the fruits of your work right away. And honestly, every job requires some mental labor and stress, so why not choose to do something cool where you can at least apply your imagination and creativity along with your blood, sweat, and tears. If you have a lot of passion for games/your game ideas and feel very motivated, go for it.

But I will tell you, what may seem like an adventurous undertaking soon gets monotonous. The reason many people don't stick with game development or hate it is because of the constant mental labor. MANY jobs/hobbies are easier than being a game developer, but few are as potentially rewarding (and fun if you find a good bunch of people to work with). I used to make maps too and trust me, doing that is a lot less stressful and laborious mentally than programming (even though it probably does require you to do just as much tedious work and remedial tasks hehe).

Hope this gives you an idea of what your getting into. You'll find out what I mean soon enough if you dive into it.

I'm in a position where I think having just one guy to work with would really boost my work speed and motivation. When noone is there to see or care about what you're doing, it gets tough to keep working. It's like...if nobody sees how cool my game is getting, is it really getting cool? It's easy to lose confidence.

This topic is 3727 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.