Sign in to follow this  

C++ graphics

This topic is 3729 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright im currently studying C++ and i have already been made aware of the fact that it as no built in graphics capability, im also aware of the fact that i can use Allegro for graphics, but what others are there and what are the pros and cons of them?

SDL, OpenGL, and Direct3D are some other well known graphics APIs. OpenGL and D3D are, IMO, much harder to use than SDL or Allegro, so I'd recommend holding off on them until you have more experience with the language.

In addition to Allegro you could take a look at SFML (tutorials, forum) or SDL (tutorials).

If you're willing to deal with some additional complexity in exchange for more feautres you could take a look at Haaf's Game Engine or The PopCap Framework. Everything I've mentioned (including Allegro) can be used for free, so you can take a look at them and try things out.

There are also the big APIs (the above are based on one or both of these), OpenGL and DirectGraphics (DirectX contains libraries for functionality other than graphics).

If you're a beginner and feel you're ready to try out your first graphical programs I would recommend SFML or SDL. SFML is very new and not yet as widely used as the others but has excellent documentation, it would probably be my pick out of the options presented. Make sure you've had plenty of practice with console programs so you've got a good grip on the language itself though.

Hope that helps. [smile]

Quote:
Original post by monkey4sale
Alright thanks, and by console programs you mean programs that will dispaly info in the command prompt, right?
Correct. The benefit of writing these programs as a beginner is that it allows you to concentrate on learning the rules and structure of your chosen programming language without dealing with the additional complexity added by graphical output.

This topic is 3729 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.