• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cyansoft

User Defined Elements...

This topic is 4008 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After re-reading the contest rules, I noticed an entrant can only submit one entry:
Quote:
An entrant may only submit one entry. An entry may contain multiple sub-games, but the collection will be judged as a single entry; a good game and a bad game make for an average collection.
I was wondering if it would it be a violation of the rules to allow the user to choose which 3 of the 4 elements (or even all four) to use in the game? For example, say in the main menu upon starting a new game, the player is prompted with something like this: Choose your Elements: ( ) Crystals, Explosions, Accountants, Ponies ( ) Crystals, Explosions, Accountants (o) Ponies, Explosions, Accountants ( ) Ponies, Crystals, Accountants ( ) Ponies, Crystals, Explosions Depending on the choice, the entire dynamics of the game could be different, creating a unique experience depending on the choice. Depending on the differences between the choices, one could view each choice as being a separate game or as being the same game with a different "spin" or "vibe" to it. I guess that would be up to the judges to decide. I doubt I'm going to attempt this because of the shear amount of work that needs to be done to support 5 different combination of elements (let alone making them cohesive) with just a one man team, but maybe a larger team might find it doable. Somehow I find it a bit appealing from a player's standpoint, especially since it could have great potential for replay value. Anyone planning on offering/trying something like this in their entry?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by cyansoft
I was wondering if it would it be a violation of the rules to allow the user to choose which 3 of the 4 elements (or even all four) to use in the game?

Using 3 of the 4 elements isn't against the rules to begin with, so I don't see why that would be a problem:

Quote:

Entries that do not include at least three of the four elements will be disqualified. An element must have a significant presence in the game to be considered as included.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!