Killer Combines

Started by
8 comments, last by Stevo14 16 years, 6 months ago
Ok, I'm going to take a stab in the dark and share a "brain wave" I had earlier today. The working title is "Killer Combines" (Combines as in Combine Harvester) The basic idea is as follows: You are challenged by some other farmers in your area to a harvesting contest. All the contestants (3-5 total), including you, are positioned on the perimeter of a large field inside your respective combines. The goal is to harvest the most wheat (or corn or whatever else). The harvesting continues until the entire crop is harvested. The catch is, these combines are armed. Semi-automatic machine gun turrets, grenades, flame throwers... whatever else you can think of. You would get points for destroying your opponents and money from selling the crop that you harvest. Your points could be exchanged for money which could be used to upgrade your combine, get more money, get more upgrades etc. So, does it sound fun? Is it the dumbest thing that you've ever heard? Could it be extended to other farm machinery? What do you think?
----Stevo
Advertisement
I think the concept is great, but it's not very original. It sounds like Twisted Metal meets Command & Conquer. The farming aspect is the most original part. But personally, it seems like it would be less interesting than other tasks. Many games, such as Homeworld, are based on the same gameplay concepts.
Thank you Kest for the comments. I didn't realize until I looked up the games that you mentioned how unoriginal my idea is.

However, I was not thinking of an RTS when I imagined the game... I was thinking more on the time scale of a racing game. Things would be adjusted so that its more on the timescale of one to three minutes before the whole field is harvested. After the harvest you would go back to the "barn" and upgrade/sell the crop. This then brings up the issue of replay ability though...
----Stevo
Sounds to me like Vigilante 8 (for Nintendo 64), only with Combine Harvesters.
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
Personally, I don't think there are enough good games to complain about lack of originality. So no points off for that. And I realized you weren't suggesting an RTS. But consider the following ingredients:

1) Farming / mining
2) Battle with other farmers / miners
3) Upgrading / research

All of the major elements of an RTS. The only significant difference, going by the details you provided, would be that you control a single unit. There's nothing wrong with the idea. But you need to throw more detail into it.
Quote:Original post by Kest
... But consider the following ingredients:

1) Farming / mining
2) Battle with other farmers / miners
3) Upgrading / research

All of the major elements of an RTS. The only significant difference, going by the details you provided, would be that you control a single unit. ...

This is true. There is also that fact that you are the only unit playing for your team/farm, and that the game would not be played in "real time" but rather it would be a set of "skirmishes".

I imagined the game a lot like a car combat game, but I though that the task of frantically harvesting and unloading, all the while fending off your opponents, would give the game a different flavor.

As far as details go, I didn't have many of them worked out when I posted but I'm starting to see some of the finer points show through. I guess thats the result of good discussion. [smile]

One last note, does anyone think this game would play well as a multilayer game? Or should it stay single player and just beef up the AI?
----Stevo
When I first read it I imagined it as a multi-player game; kind of a Mario Cart with combines/tractors. I think if it had a high humor element it could be fun for awhile. Lots of hickish dialogue and some farm animal appearances (shooting squealing pigs out of a cannon at my opponents sounds fun).
Check out my current project on Kickstarter: Genegrafter
This sounds almost exactly like Death Rally, except of course with harvesting wheat and with combines.I agree with darkpegasus, a funny spin could make a pretty good game.

[Edited by - Gyrthok on September 30, 2007 7:39:05 PM]
Yes, the gameplay is not completely novel, but the theme "combined" :) with the gameplay is. I rather like it. I think having a lot of humour in it is a necessity and would compliment the concept.

Quote:However, I was not thinking of an RTS when I imagined the game

Yes, definitely not an RTS. The upgrades would be more like the upgrades you could do in games like "Need for Speed".

Quote:One last note, does anyone think this game would play well as a multilayer game? Or should it stay single player and just beef up the AI?

Multiplayer would be goo. I can imagine LAN parties with a game like this (or maybe that is just my twisted sense of humour :D ).
Quote:The upgrades would be more like the upgrades you could do in games like "Need for Speed".
Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking.

It seems like the consensus is a humorous Hillbilly/farm theme with multi player. I'm not sure if I will actually make this one, but considering that I have no other projects in the works, its likely that ill at least start it... and hopefully finish it. [smile]

If anyone else has comments or ideas, feel free to post. The design is by no means set in stone.
----Stevo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement