Sign in to follow this  

Witch game engine too choose??

This topic is 3731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to know your opinion about all the fallowing game engines: • 3D Game Studio • Torque Engine • DarkBasic Which one do you prefer? Darkbasic is too basic, I suppose… But what about the other two? They are very similar? Witch one do you prefer and advise me to start using a game engine? Thanks

Previous to my C++ programming I used 3d game studio an awful lot, and, for a beginner programmer I really couldnt recommend it enough!
The program is cheap and it comes with an integrated script, level and model editor meaning all the tools you need to make a great game ( minus a good 2d graphics package ) are included! This takes away alot of the burden of finding suitble file formats and importers / exporters.

The scripting language is pretty powerful toO, and c++esque so if you are looking at using it as a stepping stone to 'proper' games development then again I would certainly recommend it.

Regarding your concerns for it being too basic, I think you would find the 'C-Script' language isnt too painful to get into, but is also pretty powerful futher down the line!

Torque engine, is definately another step up again, although my experience with this is a little limited. I have no idea of your programming abilities but you may find this one a little daunting to get started in as you are presented with all the code for the workings of the game, this is nicely hidden away from you in 3D game studio as you are only dealing with scripts.

3D game studio has a 30 day trial so basically id say download it, have a go at following the tutorials and writing your own scripts and see how you get on!

All the best and good luck!
Chris

This topic is 3731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.