what's a good music tracking software?

Started by
3 comments, last by thuned 22 years, 10 months ago
that makes midi/mod etc instrucmental music? preferably for a begginer? thuned life is unfair, take advantage of it. UNMB2 - if the link doesn''t work, try clicking it
life is unfair, take advantage of it.UNMB2 - if the link doesn't work, try clicking it :)
Advertisement
One of the best trackers available is Impulse Tracker 2.14. It''s freeware and has as far as I know the best sound you can get out of modules. It also supports some MIDI commands but I don''t know how these work. You can download version 2.14 from www.maz-sound.com. As for every tracker, you need samples and instruments. The easiest way to get them is downloading modules and rip them ;-)
no, it214 is not the best (btw the midi commands are issued by the z-effect, e.g. lowpass etc.).

madtracker 2 is currently the most feature-rich tracker (supports all it+xm effects and even a lot more). there is only one problem - there is no player for it...(yet, i''m working on one .

another nice tracker is modplug: www.modplug.com
For MOD tracking I would recommend ModPlug at www,modplug.com. Its small, free fast and has a pretty usuable interface to. However, nowadays most trackers are isotopes of each other so any tracker will suffice.

If you are interested in MIDI then I would recommend Logic. Cakewalk or Cubase are also other choices, but most MIDI sequencers offer the same facilites, so I guess that it is a case of using the one that you feel most comfortable with. Cubase, however, tends to lead in the technology stakes and is often the first to contain new plugin architectures. A sequencer is a fairly major investment, but you can also get free sequencers such as Jazz, and Massiva - Do a search.
IT 2.14 is the most powerful I have come across (haven''t tried madtracker yet), and quite widely supported now, whereas there is very little support for MT stuff. Fasttracker is nowhere near as good, but easier to learn (I''m told...don''t believe it - goddamned mouse-oriented UI). It takes patience to learn these progs (unlike a midi sequencer where you can learn it in a few days).

IT is VERY powerful as far as I can tell - people I know have created amazing stuff with it (try ftp://194.236.28.166/Corpse/ when the server is up and DL cps-endl.it for an example)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement