Sign in to follow this  

[web] Getting started with PHP Eclipse and XAMPP

This topic is 3710 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Until recently, I've been running XAMPP to manage MySQL and Apache, and have been editing php files using PSPad. I kept all my source files in htdocs so I could easily modify them and hit refresh in my browser to see changes I've made. This was fine, but now I've switched to PHP Eclipse and am having some trouble. Basically, when I create a new project in Eclipse and choose to import the file structure from htdocs, it copies all the files from htdocs into the local workspace located elsewhere. Now when I make changes, they obviously aren't reflected when I go to refresh the page. I'm clearly missing something obvious here since I'm not trying to do anything too fancy. Does anyone have suggestions about how I should be setting this up?

Isn't there some "upload" functionality in Eclipse? Perhaps you should ask in the "everything unix" forum. Eclipse is used quite extensively on Linux. Or ask in the Lounge.

Wait... With Eclipse, are you forced to place projects in a specified workspace directory? It can't operate off any directory?
Sorry for my asking, I just haven't gotten around to using Eclipse. I used PSPad before too, but I'm using Programmer's Notepad now.

Two solutions I can think of are changing your HTTP configuration in Apache, either changing your document work to the Eclipse workspace directory, or setting up some sort of link/script alias connecting a directory like /projects to a location like c:/eclipse/workspace/.

I develop PHP using Eclipse on Windows and I use a script as a custom build tool in Eclipse. I have my htdocs folder shared via samba. The script is just a batch file that xcopies files from my eclipse workspace over to my web root on my linux box via a samba share.

That way you make your changes in eclipse, run the custom build tool, then refresh you web browser.

This topic is 3710 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.