MUD game programming source code

Started by
11 comments, last by Arrowofdarkness 16 years, 5 months ago
I've taken the book 'MUD game programming' from my local library, unfortunately, the disk that comes with the book is missing. Now, the disk, and all that is in it is open-source, but the links on the official site are broken. So, does anyone have the source code and mind uploading it for me, or perhaps giving me a link to a working download of the source code?
Advertisement
I don't have what you're looking for, but I'm just going to add that lotsof MUDs are open source as well, such as TinyMud, DikuMud, and AberMud(maybe). So you can easily see lots of Mud source code, even if it doesn't pertain to your book.

Your book may very well be using one of those sources to begin with.
Ye, well, unfortunately i need the one supplied on the CD, as the book is pretty much useless without it.
Ron Penton's personal page.

http://ronpenton.net/projects/index.php/MUD_Game_Programming

You're welcome.
Quote:Original post by Denisius
Ye, well, unfortunately i need the one supplied on the CD, as the book is pretty much useless without it.

Well if you are using VC 2005 it the cd code won't compile anyways so it's best to go with the corrected web source code as posted above since it includes some necessary fixes to work with newer versions of VC.
At least that's what I remember when I was working through my copy of that book.
Oh well I hope someone fixes that link since that link is broken and I hope I can find my copy I downloaded a while back.
It looks like the book author seems to have gotten busy doing programming for some big company or something so unfortunately he hasn't updated his webpages for a long while. Hopefully he will if he want's me to buy any more of his books in the future.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark

You're welcome.

The links on that site are broken.
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark

You're welcome.
The links on that site are broken.
Then send him an e-mail, or buy the book. Not much else you can do.

Reading the book, and looking at the source code from the other open source muds can still be of big help. The book isn't 'useless' without the code, you will learn a lot from reading it.

The web is full of mud programming resources, and free mud source code.

You can fetch it here. I will remove it after a day or so, as I'm unsure if Mr. Penton would allow for it.

Oh and the compiling worked for me, just have to do a few adjustments in the code to make it work with VCEE.
Thanks, and it's probably alright with him, as that source code is public domain.

Also, do you mind telling what adjustments?

EDIT: 143 M/b?

What's in there?
Quote:From his site VC.Net 2003 Support
Question

I cannot get the MUDs to compile in VC.Net 2003, what the hell is wrong?
Answer

Well, I goofed and forgot to put a few "typename" keywords in key places throughout the codebase. VC6, VC7.0, and GCC let this slide by with nary a complaint, but VC.Net 2003 (VC7.1) is more strict and actually conforms to the C++ standard very tightly, and won't let my sloppy coding compile. Because of this, I released MUDs 1.0.1, a very minor fix release. You can download the source to the MUDs on that page.

While I don't have the 1.0.1 package, I just manually fixed the typename keywords where the compiler complained to make it work. I also replaced the int64 with his hack to support it for VC6 as I don't really care about the older versions. There could be a few other things, but non that I can think of now, as it's been a while.

EDIT: 143 M/b?

What's in there?

I zipped the whole cd which has a Goodie folder with free software and libraries and such which holdes like 138 MB. I'll zip down the cdcontents minus the goodies folder for easier download..

Stripped down content

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement