Sign in to follow this  

C++ projects and source files

This topic is 3725 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In Dev C++ you have to put all the files from a single program into a project so that the linker knows when to look for them. A project is not a folder. It just holds the location of each file that is part of the project. These locations can be completely separate of the folder structure.

Quote:
Original post by monkey4sale
so the only thing the project does is organize? does it do anything when you compile or is it just a fancy term for folders?

Well, I didn't want to get into too much detail as I don't really Use devC++. However, in Visual C++, with a project(and solution) you can integrate external resources, combine multiple languages, specify information like Where to put the final executable, where to run the program, where to find 3rd party libraries, what to do after the program has finished executing, parameters to pass to the program, #defines to add to the project, choosing a platform target, and a billion other things that I don't really use.

Quote:
Since im still new to C++ and am only writing one file code. So when i start getting into bigger projects i'll need more scripts and i'll have scripts that call the otheer scripts, correct?

I wouldn't refer to c++ code as 'scripts' (I'd just call it 'code'), but that's the gist of it.

This topic is 3725 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.