Outdated articles?

Started by
5 comments, last by Antheus 16 years, 6 months ago
I have just read through the beginner articles on gamedev.net where I got the impression and made the decision that learning C and then C++ would be the best way for me to go with learning to be a game programmer. But then I read through the FAQ at the top of this forum and noticed that it said that these articles where becoming obselete, outdated. Has their been a new lauguage created like C and C++? I noticed a C# is that an advancement on C++? Would it be a good idea to start learning C, then learn C++ and then C#? Thanks for your help
Advertisement
Learn C# or Python.

C and C++ are not really the most optimal choices for beginners.
^- What he said. And let's hope this doesn't turn into a "which language should a newbie start off with" debate again. :D

There are many many many discussions/arguments just like this all over the forum. The search tool is your friend.
Original post by instinKt
^- What he said. And let's hope this doesn't turn into a "which language should a newbie start off with" debate again. :D

Thanks, well I've got all the information I need so I see no need for this to turn into anything it does not have to be.
Quote:Original post by instinKt

There are many many many discussions/arguments just like this all over the forum. The search tool is your friend.

How about a good concise breakdown of each language, without comparing them against each other. An article like that should be a sticky. Something like it is here in the columns, but it should also be a sticky!
________________James
That article's also pretty old, and doesn't cover some of the more viable choices for beginners -- like Python and C#.
Quote:Original post by Phantoms
Quote:Original post by instinKt

How about a good concise breakdown of each language, without comparing them against each other. An article like that should be a sticky. Something like it is here in the columns, but it should also be a sticky!

A concise-breakdown wouldn't mean anything to a beginner.

"Unlike C++ smart pointers, Java uses generational garbage collection. The benefit is simplified garbage collection, the downside is the need to lock entire VM for the duration of reference traversal, leading to potentially problematic lock-ups."

"Java uses green threads. Unlike native platform threads, these are light-weight and allow for frequent context switches at a considerably higher rate than native OS threads"

"C++ template system is powerful enough to allow almost completely functional programming. Contrary to other languages, the system suffers from several shortcomings: ...."

For a beginner, for loop is a major challenge. Regardless of which language.

Syntactic differences are a matter of taste. Real differences however cannot be sufficiently explained beyond the: "Use foo but avoid bar"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement