an advice on a few applications

Started by
7 comments, last by TheAdmiral 16 years, 6 months ago
Hello, I'm quite new to C# but I need to build a portfolio fast, since I want a better job as a programmer. Please help me: I need to create a few applications so I can have something to show to employers eventually. Can you please provide a few ideas of such applications? What should the applications do ? Thank you. Regards,
Advertisement
Depends on what industry you want to work in.

Go to any download website and look around for small useful applications, choose one, and reimplement it yourself.
thank you for your reply

Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
Depends on what industry you want to work in.

sorry for asking: what are my options exactly?

Quote:Original post by andrei999
sorry for asking: what are my options exactly?

ASP.NET 2.0 internet development? Business logic? Back-office accounting? Tools developer in the video game industry? Game development in C#? Something else?
Hmm I am not that much into gaming. I know what I would absolutely love to do: security softwares, developed in C#. Having that in mind, can you please provide a few suggestions of applications for me to start building? Anything you would like to see from a beginner, related to Windows security (and not only)?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

[smile] Sounds like security software is a national industry in Romania.

My advice would be to write a virus which doesn't get caught by current antivirus software, and send it, packaged, to the company where you want to work. This is one of the best ways to get a job there.

Just make sure not to release the virus online, or you'll be liable for the damage.
Quote:I know what I would absolutely love to do: security softwares, developed in C#.

Computer security is not something you pick up in a book. General security is not even software-based.

For computer security, you'll need to be a bit of a hacker. Comfortable with all the tiny little details, with eye for attention, and good (truly good, not "resume good") problem solving abilities.

For general security, experience with advanced algorithms, AI, hardware integration, network communication (hardware and software), as well as business, personel, and good people abilities are all very recommended.

If you just want to get into a big company that develops security solutions in general, then you'll need to be an expert, a true expert, on something that is highly relevant to them.

Other jobs that you can get in such areas will be unrelated to actual security aspects.

Keep in mind - security is about people. Those that work need to be better than those they are going against. That also means keeping your knowledge current (every day new exploits and security issues come out).

If focusing strictly on computer security, you'll likely need a really good and solid understanding of architectures and operating systems - security exploits do not come with documentation or guides. They are also not announced in advance, and by the time something happens - it's too late.

Security jobs are well paid. But unlike some consultancies, there's a very good reason for that.

C# by itself doesn't mean much, unless you develop business applications. You'll need general CS knowledge first.

But yes, if you want something fast - write a new way to exploit an OS, a new way of a trojan, a new way to hide process from OS, ...
many thanks for your replies.

looks like im aiming for too much from the start when i shouldn't. for now im just trying to make a registry editor using Microsoft.Win32 namespace; then i want to make a password generator where one can select some options. are these valid enough to present to a company?

many thanks.
Quote:Original post by andrei999
are these valid enough to present to a company?

If they work and that's what the company is looking for, yes.
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement