Sign in to follow this  

How to create special FX

This topic is 3728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone here point me to some tutorials on how to create these special fx in a 3d game. gun fire lazers lightning (bolts/ balls) plasma balls rockets with contrails I've tried creating these FX by using many small 3d objects, but I think that will be far to slow and taxing on my 3d engine. Are there any tools out there that will help you create these kinds of special FX. Thanks

usually you program the 3D chip on the graphics card by using vertex and pixel shaders to achieve effects like this.
I would check out RenderMonkey or FX Composer to see how shaders are written.

You have little choice but to use many small objects in most cases. A laser or tracer round may be draw in a single primitive, but in general the effect will require a particle-effect, ribbon-trail or similar.

Using standard interpolative alpha-blending, these effects tend to lack punch, and some developers combat this by upping the particle count. This is generally unnecessary and wasteful. Simple effects can be made to go a very long way using a carefully-tuned additive-blending mode and HDR (or a straightforward bloom if the LDR exposure is fairly constant).

As wolf suggested, the development and execution of all of these principles runs a lot smoother using the programmable pipeline.

Admiral

This topic is 3728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.