Sign in to follow this  

Screen resolution

This topic is 3718 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just a quick question. I notice any reference to screen resolution requirements for the contest. I know that optimally the user will be able to select what resolution the game runs at (which is what I was planning to do anyway), but I figured I'd bring up the question of "Is there an min/max resolution requirement?" just in case. Thanks!

Looking at some statistics on the web, it looks like 640x480 is dead (not that I expected otherwise) and that even 800x600 is almost gone (7-14% seems to an average), with 1024x768 being around 50%

To me, honestly, 1024x768 seems like a reasonable minimum, with an equivalent wide screen res to match

The widescreen isue is a relevant one. We were discussing it recently that even AAA titles often don't work properly on both 4:3 and widescreen monitors. So knowing if the judeges will be testing widescreen is important. Personally, I think one of the scoring sections should automatically lose a point if you mess this up. How will old-school pixel-art games resolve this...?

Well, I have a 21" wide screen monitor, so I will be working on wide screen support. I hope other games will support it, as there are lots of games that won't support it, and forces me to change a couple of settings on my monitor. (I also have a 15" monitor [dual view]) though, I don't use it for games).

Chad

If you're going to support widescreen (which I certainly hope you will), don't forget that there are multiple widescreen formats.

Check Wikipedia's article on display resolution for a useful graphic that shows various standard resolutions.

Here's a checklist:
4:3 (800x600, 1024x768, etc)
16:9 (1280x720, etc)
16:10 (1680x1050, etc)
5:4 (1280x1024, etc)
3:2 (1280x854, etc)

I'd say support at least the first three (because I have a 16:10 monitor :P). But then, if you're going to support multiple aspect ratios anyway then it shouldn't be a very big deal to support any resolution/aspect ratio.

That could help for windowed mode as well where your resolution could be anything.

John B

[Edited by - JohnBSmall on October 2, 2007 6:17:51 PM]

The game engine has a handy feature that pops up a dialog the first time the player runs the game allowing them to input settings. That's what I'm going to use.

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
The widescreen isue is a relevant one. We were discussing it recently that even AAA titles often don't work properly on both 4:3 and widescreen monitors.

Also, the majority of computer screens these days are LCDs, which, unless they are wide-screen, usually have a native aspect of 5:4, not 4:3 like old CRTs.

I can't guarantee that games will be judged in widescreen; 5:4 and 4:3 are probably the ones to concentrate on. 800x600 is probably min spec.

Though I should note another thing to consider is a "letterbox" mode which renders widescreen on a non-widescreen monitor by adding black bars at the top and bottom. That's quite common on console games, AFAIK.

Quote:
Original post by JohnBSmall
Here's a checklist:
4:3 (800x600, 1024x768, etc)
16:9 (1280x720, etc)
16:10 (1680x1050, etc)
5:4 (1280x1024, etc)
3:2 (1280x854, etc)

I've got another one to add to the list. My Sony VAIO VGN-UX17GP UMPC has a native resolution of 1024x600. It's just a smidgin off 17:10 (1.70667:1).

Quote:
Original post by superpig
Though I should note another thing to consider is a "letterbox" mode which renders widescreen on a non-widescreen monitor by adding black bars at the top and bottom. That's quite common on console games, AFAIK.

Letterbox has been used on some console games, but its use is discouraged by the console manufacturers because most people who use standard aspect CRTs will not have huge displays, so squashing a widescreen display into a standard aspect display by adding black bars top and bottom just makes things even harder to see on the screen. Try reading text on a typical Xbox 360 game on a standard aspect CRT and its difficult enough.

Another strategy recently employed by Mario Party Wii is sidebars. This allows a standard aspect screen to fill a widescreen display with pretty graphics on either side of the standard aspect playing area. This strategy got panned in the press though, and as a console developer myself, I just think the developers of Mario Party Wii got lazy.

Sign in to follow this