• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Instruo

Screen resolution

This topic is 4003 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just a quick question. I notice any reference to screen resolution requirements for the contest. I know that optimally the user will be able to select what resolution the game runs at (which is what I was planning to do anyway), but I figured I'd bring up the question of "Is there an min/max resolution requirement?" just in case. Thanks!

Advertisement
I wouldn't require anything below 640x480 (or 320x240 for retro 2D), and you might want to support 1024x768 just in case this gets judged on a laptop ;)

Widescreen support doesn't hurt these days either...

Looking at some statistics on the web, it looks like 640x480 is dead (not that I expected otherwise) and that even 800x600 is almost gone (7-14% seems to an average), with 1024x768 being around 50%

To me, honestly, 1024x768 seems like a reasonable minimum, with an equivalent wide screen res to match

I normally make my mininum resolution for games/websites 800x600 just to be safe. I have a few friends who refuse to use anything bigger.

The widescreen isue is a relevant one. We were discussing it recently that even AAA titles often don't work properly on both 4:3 and widescreen monitors. So knowing if the judeges will be testing widescreen is important. Personally, I think one of the scoring sections should automatically lose a point if you mess this up. How will old-school pixel-art games resolve this...?

Quote:
Original post by Instruo
...640x480 is dead...
Unless the UI restricts it, I usually play in 640x480 8xAA.

Well, I have a 21" wide screen monitor, so I will be working on wide screen support. I hope other games will support it, as there are lots of games that won't support it, and forces me to change a couple of settings on my monitor. (I also have a 15" monitor [dual view]) though, I don't use it for games).

Chad

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!