learning directX

Started by
2 comments, last by Thanatos454 16 years, 6 months ago
ok, i'm fairly familiar with SDL, and i've been doing alot of windows programming, so my next logical step is to learn directX, just the 2D stuff for now(directDraw i believe?) but all i can find are tutorials on D3D, can anyone recommend any resources for DirectX? preferably in C++
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Advertisement
DirectDraw has been obsolete since DirectX 8 was released, if I'm not mistaken. These days, most people recommend using textured quads for 2D graphics, as it gives you access to the 3D pipeline and its features, which can make certain processes a lot easier.

You can find more info here: http://members.gamedev.net/jhoxley/directx/DirectXForumFAQ.htm#D3D_3
Yeah, DirectDraw is pretty much obsolete. It's a lot faster to just use flat screen quads in D3D.
Greg Philbrick, Game Developercoming soon . . . Overhauled CellZenith
DirectDraw was merged into Direct3D DX8. These tutorials cover creating 2D graphics with Direct3D. If you notice the tutorial writer suggests you go through his Basic DirectX tutorials first before doing his Game Display tutorials.

I found these tutorials were helpful when learning DirectX. I later bought a book by Frank D. Luna that I really liked. Here is the link to the book. The book covers vertex and pixel shaders. Older graphics cards might not support them. If you have an old graphics card, you might want to go with his older book instead. The older book still covers Directx9 but does not mention shaders until the appendix. The book is located here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement