Sign in to follow this  

Laugh testers needed - DirectX to generate bitmaps in ASP.NET

This topic is 3724 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to know if this will pass the laugh test in a roomful of gurus. I would like to generate 3D images for web pages in ASP.NET. I am thinking of using DirectX. If it passes the laugh test, what do I need to look out for in terms of concurrency and performance. BTW this has been one the the most helpful forums I have see :) Thank you.

In theory you should be able to do this, but from reading other people's attempts there is the whole headless server issue. If you can guarantee that you've got control over the hardware behind your site then you can mitigate this though.

The other issue is that you need a window to target your D3D application against, which is another issue for some server setups (e.g. services don't have UI's). But this again can be mitigated if you control your environment.

As for concurrency and performance... your guess is as good as mine! Without any details on your intended workload or hardware it's just pulling numbers out of the sky. If you architect your app well and it runs at real-time rates on decent hardware you could be looking at 100's of requests per second...

hth
Jack

This topic is 3724 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.