Code::Blocks and SDL tutorials

Started by
5 comments, last by Velvet Leopard 16 years, 6 months ago
Hey there. I just installed SDL and Code::Blocks and I was trying to follow an introduction tutorial to them, but I can't seem to translate the tutorial to Code::Blocks. They use Visual Studio C++ 6.0. Are there any tutorials here for Code::Blocks and SDL or something that can tell me how to translate a VC++ tutorial to CB? Thanks much.
Advertisement
C::B can import VC6 workspaces.

What specific kinds of things are you having trouble translating?
Well, I really just need to figure out how to setup a compiler and library the proper way so I can even DO the tutorials. I want to use C++, OpenGL, and SDL since they seem to be quite popular. I have C::B and a book on non-visual C++.
- If the tutorials come with VC6 workspaces, then just import those workspaces into C::B (or import them into VC 2005)
- Otherwise, setting up your own workspaces isn't too hard... But if you're new to setting up workspaces it might be easier to switch to a Microsoft IDE...

-- Create a new project (probably using the "Console Application" template)
-- Go into the project build options
--- Add your SDL include directory to the Directories-Compiler section
--- Add your SDL lib directory to the Directories-Linker section
--- If the tutorial tells you to add a specific lib to the linker options, use "lib*.a" instead of "*.lib".
---- E.g. instead of linking to "OpenGL32.lib", link to "libOpenGL32.a"

Quote:Original post by Velvet Leopard
I guess I am going to try and find specific C::B game tutorials. That or go out and buy that friggen Microsoft junk.

Tutorials specific to making games shouldn't really have much to do with which IDE you're using... What kind of IDE-specific stuff do these tutorials cover?

Don't bother buying VC6 - it's an abosolute peice of junk (it's not even "C++", but rather "Microsoft C with classes"). However, VC 2005 is downloadable from microsoft's website, for free.
The tutorials this guy has is pure VC++ 6.0 for microsoft he covers nothing else. SO I can download and VC 2005 and it will have all the features needed to make games? Like the simple tutorial games like pong and such? I just want to get a setup going.
Sorry, I edited the above post after you replied ^^

If you get VC 2005, it should have all the same features/options as VC 6.
Ok. I am going to go get VC 2005. Is this the one where I MUST download the SP1 thing in order for my programs to be redistributed??? Are there any other important things I should need in order to code using VC 2005 like libraries and such other than SDL and OpenGL? Any wierd compiler switches or anything I should know about?

I thank you very much for your time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement