Sign in to follow this  

Rotozooming?

This topic is 3730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I really searched for over an hour already to find out what rotozooming is. I have also searched on the forums but I could not find any useful links. Can anyone please explain me what rotozooming is or can anyone please give me a link where I can read what it does. Thanks!

Try having a read through this: http://www.flipcode.com/articles/demomaking_issue10.shtml

That's how I learnt how to do it. Have a read trough the rest of the series too. It'll give you a bit of an insight into all the old skool demo effects.

Hehe, thanks for the quick reply!

I am kind of confused now though. Any website that I found explains me how I do it, but it never explains me what it does. Or am I wrong?

What exactly is rotozooming used for?

Quote:
Original post by DaveG
Ah I see! Miss-read your post there.

It's for zooming and rotating bitmaps in realtime.

You mean the texture of an object? In what kind of case is this used?

Thanks!

It's a software technique, and so can be replaced with hardware acceleration for a speed boost and increase in quality. As Sneftel mentioned, it was a popular effect in demos; Second Reality has one after the lens effect.

It is, however, a cheap effect; one potential use is a freely rotating top-down tiled game (eg a Micro Machines game with smooth rotation).

So, if I am right.. You can use this technique in tile based games to simulate the rotations of the objects etcetra? And the rotations are being pre rendered and mapped?

This topic is 3730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.