• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
anandj

OpenGL Fixed-function pipeline. Worth it?

This topic is 3945 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm creating a terrain engine and implementing most of the features using fixed pipeline functions. Eventually I plan on creating shader implementations as well. But I'm beginning to wonder if I should just go the shader route and ditch fixed pipeline functions. Seems the majority of people have video cards that support shaders. Also I read that they are removing fixed functions in OpenGL 3.0. But should I learn them from an educational stand point? Will it help me when I move to shaders? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
It won't help you move to shaders, really, except in the basic sense of having some idea of what the shaders are replacing, and having a basic sense of what the pipeline is doing.

Quote:
Original post by anandj
I'm creating a terrain engine and implementing most of the features using fixed pipeline functions. Eventually I plan on creating shader implementations as well.

But I'm beginning to wonder if I should just go the shader route and ditch fixed pipeline functions. Seems the majority of people have video cards that support shaders.

Also I read that they are removing fixed functions in OpenGL 3.0. But should I learn them from an educational stand point? Will it help me when I move to shaders?

Thanks in advance.

Shaders are supported by all the current cards AFAIK, at least in the latest 5 years... Perhaps the true question is which version to support (starting with 2.0 or directly from 3.0? In the second case you start from the geforce6 or the ati x1000 serie (not the x800) IIRC).

There has been a similar thread recently on this subject, so you may want to search for it. Many stated that starting with FFP could be easier, other that nowdays you don't need FFP any longer and that simple shaders for basic lighning is easily downloadable from the net.
The other topic focused on OGL, which was not really easy in FFP multitexturing and so on, so using shaders may be even easier than FFP...

EDIT: as for me, I don't do OGL really, but if I did, I wouldn't spend days on the FFT: doing the basics with simple shaders is actually easier. That's just me though.

Quote:
Original post by cignox1
I wouldn't spend days on the FFT: doing the basics with simple shaders is actually easier. That's just me though.
I agree completely.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!