Rendering Trees

Started by
2 comments, last by Nairb 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi! Does someone Know some publication/article about the geometric issues of modeling/rendering trees? Thank you! Fernando.
Advertisement
Try L-Systems.
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
This page is linked from the wiki article but I thought I mention it anyway:
http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/

At the bottom they provide a pdf of 'The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants'.
I've found "The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants" (linked to at the bottom of the page sunky provided) to be a pretty solid book, though it's written very much like a slightly dated thesis. It'll go in depth on a few topics, but a lot is left to outside resources.

L-Systems in and of themselves are cool (and can be used for much more than trees), but they're not the bulk of the work (and depending on your needs you can get away with faster, not-as-robust solutions). The bulk of the work will be building the final geometry, texturing, adding leaves, and lighting in ways that look good. There are lots of good papers floating around (the algorithmic botany site has some, and you may just want to search Google Scholar for more up-to-date papers if you can).

More OpenGL Programming also has something simple to start with, but the results look... less than amazing.

Cheers,
--Brian

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement