What made you choose Open GL?

Started by
14 comments, last by Chronoslade 22 years, 12 months ago
I picked both because porting to either API would only take about a week (in our system at least), and that way we were able to please the most people. Remember that there ARE many hard-core gamers that will simply refuse to play a game in order to "boycott" an API, as stupid as that sounds.
Advertisement
Portability. ''nuff said.

Oh, and IMHO, the API is just cleaner and better organized.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~mdill
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
1) Macintosh!
2) I found good tutorials on it first, not D3D

Something for D3D:
1) No EXTension stuff -you know what you get. That also means it isn''t as extensible so that isn''t naturally a good thing...
I just want to correct ThamasTah, Direct3D have ''something like'' the extensions those are the CAPS.
Basically CAPS are informations of what you can or cannot do with the board (something like the glextensions) but they cannot be added except by MS in a new DX version (so they are rigid compared to glextensions)

Another weak design, made to statisfy the all powerfull Miscrosoft.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
but CAPS dont tell the truth

i started first with d3d ( a few versions ago ) + it was a nightmare. i remember it took me nearly 2 weeks to get a textured cube to appear on the screen, thats no exageration. around that time i compared opengl + d3d. the ONLY thing in d3d''s favour was ''that ms supports it''. even then i stayed with d3d, after another week of being pissed off i decided to give opengl a proper go + i aint looked back yet. i admit i did try d3d8 but it still isnt up to opengl standard IMHO

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux
Thanks to all that replied this was exactly what I was looking for.

"There is humor in everything depending on which prespective you look from."
"There is humor in everything depending on which prespective you look from."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement