Sign in to follow this  

Windows vulnerabilities

This topic is 3723 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I'm a newb to Linux (always been a Windows guy) and I'm having a *friendly* disagreement with my friend who is a Unix nut. He says Windows XP is "plagued with vulnerabilities." I don't see how this is so. I googled "windows xp vulnerabilities," "problems with Windows XP" and nothing turned up that was any real help. Does Windows have any real flaws? I dont see how this is possible with Microsoft being an industry leader.

Typcially, people who only use one operating system (Windows only or Linux only) will have extremely outdated knowledge about what the other operating system's capabilities and vulnerabilities are. So your Unix "nut" friend is probably thinking of things like Windows 98, Nimda, and the NT RPC vulnerabilities (which are no longer valid arguments).

I only use Windows, so I have no idea how Linux's "crappy user interface" has evolved since when I used it 10 years ago. I'm guessing it's a lot better than it was when I used it, but I could have just as easily thought that "yuck, Linux is the operating system with the crappy interface" and stuck with that thought forever.

Windows has flaws, but they are typically patched before any damage is done. To my knowledge there hasn't been a major incident since the RPC exploit. All other "vulnerabilities" are people installing adware/spyware on their own systems by accident. But there's no good way to prevent users from doing what they want to do, so I don't consider that "plagues with vulnerabilities". A more accurate description is "plagued with incompetent users."

All large programs have vulnerabilities, operating systems are no exception. It is not the number of vulnerabilities that really matters, it is the number of people trying to find the vulnerabilities. Since Windows is by far the most used OS, then it is the one that most people try to find vulnerabilities in.

theTroll

This topic is 3723 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.