Sign in to follow this  

how do u make 2D look kinda like 3D?

This topic is 3723 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im doing a after school project and im trying to make a simple space ivaderz game in java. my friend is drawing background and all other visual objects on paper and im scanning it to the computer so i was wandering if there is a way to where i could take his drawings and use the computer make it look like a 2D/3D images kinda like legend of mana?

There is no real *trick* going on here to produce that effect of depth. Basicly, it just depends on how the artist draws the images ( proper use of perspective and the use of appropriately scaled foreground,background imagery ). There were some games that pre-rendered the backgrounds in 3D ( Resident Evil/Dino Crisis etc ), and some games that pre-rendered the characters ( Donkey Kong Country/Killer Instinct ), but LOM looks to be purely 2D... Good luck with the assignment.

Make things in the background less color saturated... somewhat faded I suppose. Make anything in the foreground more pronounced with a higher contrast. Things like that tend to stand out behind the background giving the illusion of depth.

That's the way I would do it at the pixel/palette level.

The other way artist like I suppose is to use one point perspective. Where any lines that indicate depth(going into the screen) come from that point chosen which is typically, but not always, the center of the screen.

Just some thoughts.

This topic is 3723 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.