Sign in to follow this  

Why Is Everyone Using All Four Elements?

This topic is 3714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just curious because looking at the entry threads it seems to be a common trend. I mean, it's not required, nor do you get bonus points, and it just seems to make it harder to fit them all together. Opinions? Edit: If you're reading this right now and planning on creating a 4e6 entry, are you using just three or all four elements?

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
It's the spirit of the contest.

That's what I think, and I feel most other people think the same way too.

If I get a 4E6 entry together I might use the leeway available to only strongly tie together three of the four elements, but I'd be bound to include the fourth even if in just a superficial way.

Really? Do you violate the spirit on the contest by opting to use only three elements?

If you're reading this right now and planning on creating a 4e6 entry, are you using just three or all four elements?

Quote:
Original post by think_different
Really? Do you violate the spirit on the contest by opting to use only three elements?

I wouldn't say a game that only uses three is in violation of the spirit of the contest; I certainly don't think that anyone who is attempting to include only three is "cheating in spirit" in any way. It's just more that I see the elements as a personal challenge, and it's more satisfying to me personally to meet that challenge with a design that incorporates all four to a high degree than only three, even if it's harder that way.

Hi,
I'm interested in using all 4 elements simply because I have invested 2 to 3 hours working out several game concepts using these 4. Uugghh! After all that brain work I actually have an idea that seems workable. Eliminating just 1 now seems to leave the program just a bit empty.

Then again, I started with the thought "Good grief! Where in the world did ponies and accountants come from?" to "Hey this is workable!"

Regards,
Chuck

Quote:
Original post by Promit
I'd say that anyone who doesn't use all four elements is -- and excuse the technical jargon here -- a total lamer.

In fact, my game will include not 4 but in fact all 16 elements.

[wow]
I am planning on just 3/4. Not to say that I don't appreciate the added challenge of having all 4 elements in, but I just want to make something cohesive (as far as that is possible with the elements we have been given).

I have only three. Reason being is that I can get 3 as integral parts of the game. I don't want to just toss something in for the heck of it. I like my idea and I'm sticking to it and I don't want a rogue element to ruin my dastardly plan.

If I had a good idea for all 4 that would be one thing, but its hard to imagine accountants and ponies together with any real harmony. Not saying I couldn't given enough time but I can only have one entry and I've fallen for my current plan. So 3 it is.

Quote:
Original post by Promit

For real? That would be awesome.

I've got one idea that includes ten, and another that could easily be extended up to 15, but I have a hard time fitting "Europe" into there without it feeling tacked on.

Quote:
but the fourth element just detracted from the game

This is my feeling. Isn't the "spirit of the contest" more to build a quality game within the bounds of the criteria given? If it wasn't within the spirit of the contest to only use 3, why wouldn't superpig just require all 4 be used?

Quote:
Original post by Promit
I'd say that anyone who doesn't use all four elements is -- and excuse the technical jargon here -- a total lamer.

All 16? You don't even have Lanthanides and actinides then? Pretty paltry...

Quote:
Original post by Promit

Now that you mention it, if my game comes out as planned it will, in all seriousness, feature all 16 elements in one form or another.

Shouldn't you put all your strength and all left minutes in building a good game with these four elements? I think it is hard enough to think about a plot, which covers all of these four totally different things. Right now, I fear I fail in "Explosions" category. A real Kaboom is kinda hard to code. I want some nice particles, a shaking screen, terrific sounds and a smile on the player...
Hell, there is lot to do.

Quote:
Original post by Instruo
Quote:
but the fourth element just detracted from the game

This is my feeling. Isn't the "spirit of the contest" more to build a quality game within the bounds of the criteria given? If it wasn't within the spirit of the contest to only use 3, why wouldn't superpig just require all 4 be used?

It's not that the judges will go "what a cheapskate, he only used 3 elements". It's more of a personal challenge... You're given all four elements, and obviously, a lot of people then try to come up with a game that involves all four, because that's a greater challenge that coming up with one that only involves three.

And ultimately, this contest is about the challenge. (Can you make a fun game with these elements?)
Screw the prizes or who actually wins, those are nice bonuses, but for a lot of people, it's the challenge of making the game that's interesting. And if that can be made more challenging by using all the elements, why not do it? [wink]
To some, going "I can't think of anything involving accountants" is admitting defeat. They're going to make a gmae with accountants, dammit. And ponies and crystals and splosions! (By the way, am I the only one who's considering specifically making a game *without* explosions? Somehow really draw attention to the absence of explosions, or perhaps but a censored label over them or something? Sure, that'd ony give me 3 used elements, but in a challenging way, so that's ok! [lol])

But yeah, if you make a good game with 3 elements, it might easily beat someone who included all 4 (or 16) elements, simply because it'd be more cohesive and, well, make more sense.

[Edited by - Spoonbender on October 10, 2007 3:28:42 AM]

Sign in to follow this