Sign in to follow this  

I want to take the roguelike concept...

This topic is 3722 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to take the roguelike concept (I am hooked hooked hooked on ADOM!) and bring it to a more playable interface with, yeah, with graphics. The one thing that has me stumped right now is the way to implement the battle system. I'm thinking the way fighting is done in roguelikes is too simplistic but I want to keep its fast paced, nail-biting nature. I don't want to go real-time, so some kind of turn-based/turn-based hybrid... Any ideas?

Keep it the same. Your exact approach depends on what it is you're attempting. If it is something like IVAN then you are going to use the same interface. If you plan on adding the use of the mouse, then your horizons are widened quite a bit. Instead of obscure keyboard references you can click on enemies to perform attacks.

Aside from the direct controlling aspect, considering roguelike combat simple is a gross simplification. If you are simply referring to attacking being simply trying to walk on them, then I agree, however roguelikes are notorious for requiring strategy for combat. NetHack, for example, is known for allowing you to do any action you can think of. A common example is picking up a cockatrice with gloves on and then touching enemies with it to turn them to stone.

In essence as long as the core mechanics are there then you can simply add away. To make it more complicated, add different sorts of attacks which maybe lower defense for a higher attack power or something like that. Allow the use of strange items in combat for various effects. Throwing a cloak over an enemy may confuse them long enough to get a clean shot, etc.

Keep it turn based and build upon what exists and you'll keep the same general feel.

I mean simple as in how you just use the keys to move your guy up to the monster. Like I said I'm hooked on ADOM, which is like Nethack on steroids.

I'm not making something like IVAN because it's not supposed to exactly resemble a roguelike, I just want to take some of the best concepts like open exploration, lots of options, difficulty, and generated environments... and incorporate them into my own game.

Roguelikes are fast paced? Battles too simplistic?

Perhaps we've been playing different roguelikes.

Either way, I'm not certain there's a good middle ground between real time roguelikes (Diablo and its kin) and the well developed turn based roguelikes. The tiny bland graphics have their place. They allow for large areas of the map to be displayed at a glance with a good understanding of what everything is (at least with the alternative tilesets most have). Plus they're easy to implement, allowing time to be better spent elsewhere.

Anyways, I'm not too clear on your ideas since roguelikes have had a good playable interface for decades. Perhaps if you spell out what you think could be better and how you'd like to make them better?

I suspect that if you want to make a "more playable" roguelike, you should base your game on Angband or one of its derivatives. They're much simpler than NetHack and its kin, or even Omega. Haven't played ADOM myself, so I don't know how it compares there. But if you took Angband, unified all the various "use" keys (e.g. (E)at, (u)se staff, (a)im wand, (A)ctivate artifact, (z)ap rod), did away with traps and locks and secret doors, maybe halved the dungeon size and zoomed in a bit...you'd have a pretty simple roguelike that could be adapted to a GUI without too much trouble.

Honestly, you might be better off taking the Diablo interface and complexifying it until you feel you have something that plays like a "real" roguelike.

This topic is 3722 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.