• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jah2488

Just Need Some Programming Language Advice

This topic is 3963 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been programming for a few years now in BlitzPlus (BlitzBasic) and have a good grasp of it, i also have begginer knowledge in C, Java, and Python. I really wanna work on a Complete RPG that will eventually be 3D (even if i have to write a 2d version and upgrade to a 3D). I've created an extremely basic 2D Rpg and i'm ready to make an investment in another language and software to make this game. I would just really like any advice on a good language, or system to use. would it be better for me to get something like Blitz3D or maybe Torque Engine Builder? or just dive into C++? Thanks for any of your help EDIT : I just really dont want to invest my time/money in a language/program and have to change later

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by jah2488
I just really dont want to invest my time/money in a language/program and have to change later

Well, quit programming then, because you will never find the one Final Solution™ language. I know over 12 programming languages, and I will probably learn more eventually.

Anyway, to answer your immediate question: pick either Java or Python. Why? Because you already know a little bit of them. C is not an option because of the number of facilities missing from the language itself. You'll spend too much time implementing features you get for free from Java and Python.

Which one of them? It really doesn't matter. There are trade-offs that make them roughly even.

thanks, i know your right i'll never find one perfect language, its all part of the learning process, but i just didn't want to end up changing languages in the middle of my current project. :]

Yah i think i'm gonna go with python, i've been able to find a few more resources on it than Java

thx again for the help

Quote:
Original post by jah2488
I just really dont want to invest my time/money in a language/program and have to change later
As Oluseyi said there is no final solution, but I think I know what you were trying to say here. You want a language that can do almost anything you would ever want to implement in any game you can think of, so that when you generally become a more experienced programmer, you'll be able to hold to the same language you started with, instead of having previously programed with a limited language and now having to learn a new/more complex language that can let you pull something off.

If I interpreted right, then I would say go with the "trinity", (or what I would consider to be "the trinity") which is "C++, SDL, OpenGL".

I know haw easy pygame can make things seem, but when you outgrow it (and you will), you'll feel like you wasted time with it.

Of course, that's just speaking from my experience.

Quote:

I know haw easy pygame can make things seem, but when you outgrow it (and you will), you'll feel like you wasted time with it.

This is complete bull.

Quote:

instead of having previously programed with a limited language and now having to learn a new/more complex language that can let you pull something off.

So is this implication here that Python is somehow "limited."

Quote:

but i just didn't want to end up changing languages in the middle of my current project. :]

Then don't. The language itself isn't going to force you to change, only your own anxiety over whether or not you're using the "best" tool. There is no "best" tool, there is only the right tool for the job. And the right tool for the job is the one that will let you achieve your requirements most easily. Python is pretty good at that, so you'll be fine.

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
This is complete bull.

...? Ok, I'll play:

Walking causes cancer.

Give me a "because", so that I would have grounds to answer with something a little more constructive then just: "No it's not".

Quote:

No, it's an implication that a "limited language" is "limited". My "personal opinions" on pygame are an independent statement.

Quote:
Original post by Vuk Samotnjak
Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
This is complete bull.

...? Ok, I'll play:

Walking causes cancer.

Give me a "because", so that I would have grounds to answer with something a little more constructive then just: "No it's not".

Quote:

No, it's an implication that a "limited language" is "limited". My "personal opinions" on pygame are an independent statement.

Since you are the one dissing Python/Pygame, I'd say the burden of proof is on *you* to discuss how you feel these tools don't live up to your "trinity".

The onus is on you. You're the one who claimed that the OP will be limited by Pygame, or that Pygame (and by extension, Python) is some toy language one "outgrows." Why don't you provide a "because" for that assertion?

These sorts of baseless and subjective assertions about languages are a waste of time, and extremely harmful to people like the OP. They only serve to reinforce their anxiety regarding "using the perfect tool" and can additionally perpetuate irrelevant FUD. Frankly, there's is absolutely nothing wrong with the OP continuing to use BlitzPlus to make games. In all likelyhood, in fact, he'd probably end up producing more (and better!) games that way than 75% of the people on these forums who spend hours of their time and megabytes of bandwidth trying to figure out the "best language" to work in.

The important thing is for him to pick a tool and get to work. Sniping at his choice with comments like, "well, when you outgrow it," isn't helpful. Don't do it.

You know, I'll furthermore address the issue regarding "easy." This is, in fact, the one the more clueless arguments one can make against a language. As game developers, we spend countless man-hours and countless millions of dollars building tools and technology so we can make games more easily. "Easy" in no way means "bad," "less powerful," or anything like that. A language or toolchain that's easier to use enables cheaper, faster development, which is a very good thing. One who prefers a language that is "harder" purely on the basis that it is "harder" and thus must be more powerful is somebody I wouldn't ever want to work with.

@jah2488

Since you have some experience with Java and Python, my recommendation is for you to stick with them, but if you feel like trying something new, C# with XNA wouldn't be a bad choice. The community is already strong, the documentation is great for getting started, and I've just found it enjoyable to use. However, you're limited to Windows and the XBox 360 which may or may not be a concern for you.

Where I work, we use all of the following:
C++
C#
Perl
PHP
Python

Not all of these are used for the actual game, but they are part of the job. And this is a proper game development studio, so it's not like I'm talking about some tangentially related industry either.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!