CHALLENGE!

Started by
48 comments, last by Khrob 22 years, 11 months ago
I''m gonna make a declaration here:

There will be two categories:

Software Rendering
Hardware (OpenGL AND DirectX) Rendering

Sound and Music will provide extra points, but may not be necessary. Use of a library like fmod would be acceptable.

Sound and music data WILL be provided.

There will be no differentiation between different ''skill'' levels. The geometry will be quite complex, so a certain level of skill/patience will be required anyway.

That is not to say that beginners aren''t welcome. I myself am not a very advanced coder. However, were I eligible to enter this competition, I would spend the next few months making myself one.

Making an engine from scratch is not an insignificant project. I feel the fortnight time limit should stress everyone, but will not take a significant chunk out of people''s lives. People seem to be keen to have a longer time for it... I am considering this, but I feel too much time will only let people lose focus on the project.

Still want to know if any of you are interested in doing it in teams?

danbrown - add whatever you like! I think geometry should BEGIN as it is in the data file, but if some of you uber-coders out there can make the geometry deformable - GO AHEAD!! (It''s about time a rocket launcher can bring down a wooden door....)

Web site''s going well... I have found someone to very generously host it. Thanks Craig at www.black-box.com.au

Yeah. I''m fine with all of the above.

Can''t wait to see the data spec. and sample data files!
that makes two of us!

_________________________________I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure...
Hi All

It is a shame the competition will not be realistically open to all, because of skill level but Khrob this is your baby.

I do have one question you originally stated

Who''s up for The Challenge 2001?
Doom3 engine in a week gave me the idea.

So to the question is the challenge a graphics engine only challenge or a full game engine challenge, will some advanced AI code hold as much wait in marks as some advanced graphics code. Some Recognition for AI would be nice it is not an easy thing to do. This Point goes the same for all the other parts of a common game engine, Scripting, Networking etc etc etc, of course some will have to be waited, input is not as difficult as networking which is not as difficult as AI.

Anyway khrob good luck with the project.

3DG
Hopefully it wont be unavailable to many...

starting from

for(inti=0; i);

all the way up.

What I''m thinking of making is ''Awards''

ie

The Engine Challenge 2001 Awards for:

Speed
Graphical Excellence
Compatibility
Sheer Coding Mastery

And hey - if I can get enough prizes, why not have more divisions... I just fail to see how we can reasonably rate people.

I''d love to see as many people as possible entering! It''s a learning experience..
_________________________________I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure...
Hi

I do agree to a point, it would be near impossible to accurately rate people, looking at this problem from all angles. It could even come to a situation where an intermediate programmer entered his/her project into advanced and came 5th+ but if he/she entered in intermediate then he/she might have won. If levels were adopted then it would be down to the entrant to decide on there level, but after reading your last post were you said you would like to have awards for

Speed
Graphical Excellence
Compatibility
Sheer Coding Mastery

This is probably the best way of opening up different levels, people who are not an all round guru (everyone except Mr Carmack) will be able to aim at one of the award categories and try and win. I should have thought of that one. Time to get back to some coding, ahhrr time passes to quickly.

Again Good luck with the project, I hope you managed a get a Guru/Legend to Judge

3DG
Those wont be the only awards - I''m sure as projects come in more will make themselves evident.

Where''s Cobras engine?

Where''s the website?

Where''s the tutorials?

Where''s the screenshots?

What happened to "Challenge 2001"?

Where''s the data, textures, engine in a week, prizes?

Where''s the entrants?

I see smoke but feel no fire,
I hear words but see no deeds,
I endure the crowd pleasers but
nobody wants to go to second base.

-anon

well is this deid or what??
i hope not
but this thread is!!!

-VBLimits
Sorry about the Spelling..
-VBLimitsSorry about the Spelling..
The Engine Challenge is far from dead.

This thread, I agree - is.

Anon - I agree with what you''re saying totally. I do not agree with your cowardly method of expressing your thoughts.

I dont care if I''m being insulted if the person has the strength of their convictions to be associated with their words.

I am working on the challenge. The site is ready, but I can hardly release it when half the information on there is conjecture - I need confirmation from several quarters.

Rest assured, when all is in readiness a new thread will start to inform all you good people (and anon too) that The Engine Challenge 2001 has begun!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement