CHALLENGE!

Started by
48 comments, last by Khrob 22 years, 11 months ago
Who''s up for The Challenge 2001? Doom3 engine in a week gave me the idea. We provide: Some detailed world data Some detailed model data (geometry & animation) Some cool sounds The data is placed open for public access, and all contestants are given two weeks to come up with the best engine to display this data as they can. Software/OpenGL/DirectX/Other all welcome. What the idea needs now is interest and some cool prizes. Some rules would need to be in place, but on the whole, contestants should have free reign to do what they like to preprocess the data. Judging could either be on a benchmark system, or by peer (every contestant gets two votes, or whatever) So who''s up for international fame, boundless fortune and endless appreciation from the gender of your choice??!! _________________________________ I used to be indecisive. Now I''m not so sure...
_________________________________I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure...
Advertisement
Hell yeah!.... I''m up for it....

*[shameless plug]
I''ve just finished adding DYNAMIC PER-PIXEL LIGHTING into my game engine.... so I have quake3 maps.... with fully dynamic per-pixel lighting!. hehehe.... starting to look like the Doom 3 engine ( albeit, about 10 times worse, but it looks better than the q3 one hehehe... amazing what the right lighting can do for ya ).
[/shameless plug] *

So sure..... I''m up for it.... have exams at the moment, so I might not even finish a project engine for it, but it''d be fun to try....

what data formats were u thinking of???

~Cobra~
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"
I was thinking just keeping it down to either polygon data, or plane data (a la WorldCraft)

For the models - any suggestions?

And the timeframe would not be until later in the year - when does everyone have holidays?

If I enter, I''ll use software mode, just for the "1337ness" factor

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~mdill
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Sounds fucking assom but umm what format is the data going to be in?
world data=BSP,or what
Sound=??
Objects=??

and if there not in a format that we like will there be others??

i can start on this when ever

Added This
do we hafto start for nothing or can wee use Engins we have alraedy done/started??

-VBLimits
Sorry about the Spelling..

Edited by - VBlimits on April 26, 2001 12:22:37 AM
-VBLimitsSorry about the Spelling..
I would like the polygon data as simple as possible (no bsp''s) so people can do whatever clever tricks they want to it.

Not sure about the model formats, since we''re trying to out-id id, some detailed format? Or would people be happier with high-res (geometry res) .md3''s?

Sound - just keep as a wav.

A ''team'' system might be a good idea, so you dont have to reinvent every wheel.

I think the goal would be impractical without the use of your own previously made things.

I guess the line there would be that everything you use must be in the public domain, as all the code would be at the conclusion of the project.

I''ll try to get a page going with some info on it.

We should get Tim Sweeney and John Carmack to judge it!!

So:

World: Raw polygons with some surface info (UV coords, texture)
Textures: .tga
Sounds: .wav
Models: .md3

Behaviour constraints:

Cant walk through walls/objects.

So... teams anyone?

Unbelievably good idea. Unfortunately, as a student, I am being pummeled by 3 CS classes at the moment. I end late, due to the lovely quarter system, so am pretty much unavailable until mid-late June. Also, while I am a programmer, I am only an aspiring game programmer, so I doubt I would be able to compete well. I am only posting to tell you that others probably have classes to, but summer is an ideal time for college / highschool / preschool students who frequent this site. Oh yeah, have a contest in September too, right before I start again. I''ll be confident by then.

--OctDev
The Tyr project is here.
Right.... I know we aren''t starting till later this year, but I''ve already started building an MD3 loader... hopefully by the time we get really going on this project I''ll already have it done... should save some time.

~Cobra~
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"
How about .ogg for the music format. It''s a lot smaller than .wav, and it isn''t bound by those nasty patent things that mp3 has. And besides, I wanna see a game that plays oggs
I''m glad people are interested in this. It''s a great challenge!

I''d also like to see a pure polygon data set for the level (no brushes, no planes, no BSPs). How will this data be created? Wouldn''t extracting polygons from .MAP files produce a lot of useless polys.

I''m still a big fan of the MD2 model format personally.

I''m looking forward to your site for this Khrob.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement