Sleep Paralysis Question

Started by
74 comments, last by MrMark 16 years, 6 months ago
I just had my first episode of sleep paralysis at 4PM today (will share story upon request). My case was rare; it occured the instant I fell asleep. Because I'm not really in favor of waking up to a demon pressing against my chest, what should I do about sleeping tonight? Any techniques, tricks, or procedures to help reduce the chance of an attack? Should I sleep as soon as possible? Google and wikipedia don't seem to have a concrete answer for the latter, and I don't know which websites to trust for the former.
Advertisement
I've had a few episodes of sleep paralysis. It can be jarring, but it's not so bad if you just remind yourself that it's only sleep paralysis and not some malevolent force out to get you [wink].
The advice I heard long ago was not to sleep flat on your back.
Quote:Original post by mhamlin
I've had a few episodes of sleep paralysis. It can be jarring, but it's not so bad if you just remind yourself that it's only sleep paralysis and not some malevolent force out to get you [wink].

How bad were they? I really admire your courage if you could do that while staring down some pseudo-demon/witch/whatever scares you. Luckily my case was odd rather than hellishly terrifying.
I don't know how to stop it, but for me it happened a bunch of times over about three months and then never happened since. Very strange.

It's really not scary if you just remind yourself what it is. Sometimes I can slip between sleep paralysis and a lucid dream as well.

Out of the six or seven times I've had sleep paralysis in my life, only once have I actually been scared during the episode, but once you let yourself get scared it only gets worse.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Why were you sleeping at 4PM?

If this is the first time it's happened to you, I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote:Original post by Ravuya

Actually, that's an interesting thing. I've had it when I was sleeping on my side, but during the time I was "paralyzed" I was convinced I was lying on my back and looking up at the ceiling.

This has nothing to do with anything but for me the transition too/from sleep paralysis almost always comes with a "buzzing" sensation and while I'm paralyzed I tend to feel like someone is pushing their hand under my rib (not breaking the skin or anything).
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Quote:Original post by Ravuya

You're correct. That's the one piece of advice (other than prescription drugs) that remains prevalent in SP treatment. Too bad I usually end up sleeping on my back. [sad]
I've only had two episodes of sleep paralysis, both separated by decent ammounts of time. First one happened when I was young and was pretty scary, couldn't sleep again that night. But it's really nothing to worry about, chances are it won't happen very often and when it does it won't do you any harm.
Quote:Original post by kevtimc
Quote:Original post by mhamlin

How bad were they? I really admire your courage if you could do that while staring down some pseudo-demon/witch/whatever scares you. Luckily my case was odd rather than hellishly terrifying.

The first one was pretty frightening, since I wasn't really aware of what was going on. The fact that the brain assumes that it is some supernatural entity attacking the victim is really curious.

Anyway, since then whenever I get them (not very often, but I've had a few (four?) since then) after I remind myself that it's just sleep paralysis I typically fall asleep straightaway.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement