Sign in to follow this  

Radiosity and Soft Shadows DX10 Engine

This topic is 3726 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I here present my latest demo. The “image of the day” section has been malfunctioning the last days and I haven’t been able to upload so I post it here instead. The demo is developed using DX10 and features some new techniques. The project is based around a deferred rendered radiosity method I developed with DX9. While porting, optimizations where also made. Besides benefits from pushing all the computations onto the graphic card, the core shader functions render twice as many fragments per unit of time. The engine hold additional features such as normal (bump) mapping, spec mapping, projected light textures and soft shadows, among others. The shadows are implemented with a kind of cascade mapping. By utilizing the geometry shader stage multiple shadow maps could be rendered in a single pass. The engine has high resistance on handling geometric complexity. All processes with variable inputs are computed instantly. As a result the engine can also handle animated meshes even though not presented in this demo. In order to run the application you’ll need a DX10 compatible graphic card and Windows Vista installed. The models and textures (work in progress) are created by the artist Stefan Johansson (check out his website). Download the demo here! Questions and suggestions are most welcomed. [Edit] Added an extra screenshot [Edited by - 51mon on October 4, 2007 4:39:09 PM]

nice job ,

i don't want to mess you but i think the image you posted is too dark , i was hopping that radiosity could help with light interreflexion and will produce less shadowed images...

the 13 fps score is on what kind of graphic card ? since it is DX10 i believe geforce 8xxx ?

however keep up the good job.

Quote:
Original post by nini
nice job ,

i don't want to mess you but i think the image you posted is too dark , i was hopping that radiosity could help with light interreflexion and will produce less shadowed images...

the 13 fps score is on what kind of graphic card ? since it is DX10 i believe geforce 8xxx ?

however keep up the good job.

Thanks. It's on an 8600GT card. Maybe you're right about the darkness. It's possible to change all the settings inside the demo and make the appearance brighter or the execution faster. The light source is positioned on the left side and my intention with the picture was that the light should hit the shadowed wall at the left and the roof indirectly.

This topic is 3726 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.