Borland Vs. Microsoft

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 8 months ago
Well if you goto www.ebay.com & type in Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 I know you can find it for about $40 or less. I'm not sure how much borland is, but I'm sure unless you also find it on Ebay that it's going to be more money.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Advertisement
I'm not sure about game companies, but most of the companies that write business applications seem to prefer and use MSVC++ (I interviewed with several about a year ago and all of them used MSVC++), and they like it if you have experience using it.
I know that doesn't really answer your question, but it is something to think about...

[This message has been edited by felisandria (edited August 09, 1999).]

~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
MSVC++ is pretty much the standard now for game development. If you are a student, you can pick it up at academic pricing for about $60. There is also a book from Microsoft Press called "Learn Visual C++ Now" (or something like that) that includes MSVC++ on the companion CD.
As far as Windows programming goes, I'd have trouble recommending Borland to anyone for one simple reason--VC is made by Microsoft, and so is DirectX. I don't know whether this still happens, but I can remember when DirectX (Game SDK) first came out there were a lot of problems getting it to work with Borland. Microsoft seems to include Borland libraries these days, but I'd much rather take the safest route and get the product DirectX was designed to work with.
My question concerns compilers. Which is best geared towards game programming? Borland C++ or Visual C++. Most of the books (Windows Game Programming for Dummies, etc...) require Visual C++; however, I'm relatively young and I have no source of income. I've seen Borland C++ selling cheaper. So which one should I look into. Also, which version should I get? Thanx

-Ronald

Both Visual C++ and Borland C++ Builder have cheap versions as well as expensive ones (though Visual C++ tops out at around $1000 while Borland tops out at $2500). Borland is better for developing GUI applications. There is much more support for Visual C++ right now, but Microsoft has invested heavily in Borland just recently to help them to keep developing a great compiler. I'd say shoot for Visual C++ and pick up Beginning Visual C++ 6 by Wrox Press to get you started. You should be able to by the simplest versions of both at Best Buy or, if you're a student, pick them up academically priced for much cheaper. If you can get them accedamically you may want to get a better versions since the performance of whatever you write will be better optimized.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement