• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fitfool

Half Life .Bsp Format

This topic is 4156 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have been searching for some documentation on the half life 1 map format(.bsp). I havent been able to find a single documentation, like the quake3 map format. Ive downloaded the half life sdk, and looked through the source to see if i could figure it out but its to trivial. Does anyone know of any documentation for this format? thank you

Advertisement
Half Life uses the Quake 1 engine, so the Unofficial Quake Specs would seem to be a good starting point. Chances are there are some minor variations (IIRC Half Life had coloured lightmaps, so check out this Quake 2 BSP documentation), but it shouldn't be too tricky to figure out with a good hex editor.

The only differences between Quake 1 and Half-life 1 BSPs are:

• Structure names (the Unofficial Quake Specs were written before the Quake source code was released).
  • The version number in the file header.
  • Order of the lump size/offsets in the file header (bspfile.h in the Half-Life SDK has the correct order).
  • Content of the lightmap lump: Half-Life stores RGB in three bytes instead of monochrome in one byte.
  • Mipmap offsets in the texture lump may be zero: this indicates the texture should be loaded from an external WAD file.
  • Each mipmap is followed by a 16-bit integer (always = 256) then 256 RGB values (texture palette).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!