Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making Sounds

This topic is 6073 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys! I am wondering if anyone knows how to implement sounds using a Sun(Solaris) OS. Basically I am working on a radar that needs to send out a constant sound (a beep, bell, or "ALERT - ALERT") when a misstle is detected. We are looking for a simple way to do this. Any ideas? Thanks Roach

Thanks, but I can''t use Fmod due to licencing agreements (I am working on a commersial product, actualy it''s millitary), so I have to use something simple (UNIX call or a C++ function).

That PlaySound() function, is that windows only or can that be used on other systems (ie is that ANSI standard, or part of Micro$oft''s librarys?)

Thanks
Roach

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi,

You may want to have a look at LibAO, it''s part of the Vorbis project and under LGPL. So commercial / military use shouldn''t be a problem.
LibAO is a multi-Unix audio library with a very simple to use API. It supports Linux, Solaris and Irix. Look for libao-0_6_0.tar.gz on http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/download/

Other (very simple) possiblity: There was a nice simple audio output system for Solaris on the old SDL package, it''s around 15k, if you want I can mail it to you.

Alex

Guest Anonymous Poster

Just another idea: did you tried to write directly to /dev/audio ? something like:

fh = open( "/dev/audio", ... )
write ( fh, AudioBuffer, AudioBufferSize )

Could actually work, your audio data has to be in the right format though.

Alex