Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roach

Making Sounds

Hello guys! I am wondering if anyone knows how to implement sounds using a Sun(Solaris) OS. Basically I am working on a radar that needs to send out a constant sound (a beep, bell, or "ALERT - ALERT") when a misstle is detected. We are looking for a simple way to do this. Any ideas? Thanks Roach

Thanks, but I can''t use Fmod due to licencing agreements (I am working on a commersial product, actualy it''s millitary), so I have to use something simple (UNIX call or a C++ function).

That PlaySound() function, is that windows only or can that be used on other systems (ie is that ANSI standard, or part of Micro$oft''s librarys?)

Thanks
Roach

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi,

You may want to have a look at LibAO, it''s part of the Vorbis project and under LGPL. So commercial / military use shouldn''t be a problem.
LibAO is a multi-Unix audio library with a very simple to use API. It supports Linux, Solaris and Irix. Look for libao-0_6_0.tar.gz on http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/download/

Other (very simple) possiblity: There was a nice simple audio output system for Solaris on the old SDL package, it''s around 15k, if you want I can mail it to you.

Alex

Guest Anonymous Poster

Just another idea: did you tried to write directly to /dev/audio ? something like:

fh = open( "/dev/audio", ... )
write ( fh, AudioBuffer, AudioBufferSize )

Could actually work, your audio data has to be in the right format though.

Alex