Borland C++ question

Started by
9 comments, last by Sam Gamgee 22 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I have a question about Borland C++ Builder4. My question is, when I make an application, the program will run fine on the computer that has the C++ installed, but when I try to move it to another computer there are a bunch of files that are missing (.dll''s etc.). Now as long as I copy all of the files that the program wants onto the other computer everything works fine. I was just wondering if there is a way to get the compiler to compile the needed files into one .exe. Or do I simply have to include all the files that are needed in the .zip for my file (if I ever release it). Thanks for any help. -Sam.
Advertisement
I''m sure Borland supports static libraries. You might want to look in the docs for some info on it.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~mdill
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I''ve got C++ Builder 4 and get the same problem. You could just isolate the dll''s and stuff and add them to your project some how. I think it does it because it says in the Licence Agreement that you are only allowed to make programs on your own computer and are not allowed to give them away even as freeware, so they made it dificult!!
You could buy MS visule C++ 6.

Hope this helps,

J
quote:Original post by Sam Gamgee

Hi,

I have a question about Borland C++ Builder4. My question is, when I make an application, the program will run fine on the computer that has the C++ installed, but when I try to move it to another computer there are a bunch of files that are missing (.dll''s etc.). Now as long as I copy all of the files that the program wants onto the other computer everything works fine. I was just wondering if there is a way to get the compiler to compile the needed files into one .exe. Or do I simply have to include all the files that are needed in the .zip for my file (if I ever release it).

Thanks for any help.

-Sam.

There are 2 ways of doing it. The first one as proposed by Martee is to use static libraries. The second is to just zip the damn dll''s in with your zip file...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
[Cyberdrek | ]
Under the "component" menu "options" submenu in BCB5, there is checkbox for "Build with Runtime packages". Uncheck this box.

If you want to make this change for just the single project, then under the "Project" menu, select options and then on the "Packages" tab you''ll see the same type of checkbox.

Does this work with BCB 4?
To make a stand alone .exe with CBuilder5:

Go to Project->Options->Compiler and click on the Release button.

Then go to Project->Options->Packages and uncheck the Build with runtime packages.

I know you''ve asked about CBuilder 4 but I think this options are the same...

Note: CBuilder 5 has a CodeGuard tool that must be disabled before generating the exe file...

"- To begin with, said the Cat, a dog''s not mad. You grant that?
- I suppose so, said Alice.
- Well, then, - the Cat went on - you see, a dog growls when it''s angry, and wags its tail when it''s pleased. Now I growl when I''m pleased, and wag my tail when I''m angry. Therefore I''m mad."
"- To begin with, said the Cat, a dog's not mad. You grant that? - I suppose so, said Alice. - Well, then, - the Cat went on - you see, a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."
Andre Luiz Silva, yea it does work in borland C++ builder 4. And theres no code guard in it, so u only need to change them two settings. BTW would u not have been better posting this in the borland turbo room, you would have been more likely to get an answer..

G Coates
------------------------------------------------------------

Windows: The only virus with a GUI!
Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]
Thanks for helping me everyone. What you said works fine in BCB4!

I''m curious about what you said earlier though, Jason2Jason, about the license not allowing you to distribute your program even as freeware...is this true? I don''t remember reading that, but perhaps I missed it?

Thanks again.

-Sam.
Read the deploy.txt in de ''root'' install dir:

2.2 INPRISE Runtime Packages
----------------------------
In accordance with the General Terms That Apply to Compiled
Programs and Redistributables, you may redistribute
INPRISE-supplied runtime packages only for the purpose of
executing application programs created with C++Builder. You may
not modify these packages in any way. By default the
redistributable runtime packages are installed in the
\Windows\System directory (for Windows95) or