Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Guy

The Terrors of Windows ME.... (just read it)

Scenario #1 I go to START>SHUT DOWN>SHUTDOWN, and it-- gasp-- restarts!!! Scenario #2 I dial up on my 56K, and after a while I disconnect and shut down my computer. The screen turns blue and says "Windows Protection Error... System Halted". Scenario #3 Oni crashes constantly. Even on my AMD Athlon 128MB-RAM with an nVidia Vanta DDR. What. The. Hell... Scenario #4 I hit "Sleep" on my 1-touch keyboard to put the computer in Suspend mode. I move the mouse to "wake it up." Nothing happens. Did I scare you? Well just imagine _my_ reaction. Windows 95 was more stable than this heartless crap. Does MS plan on fixing this, because I am not laying down MORE money for Windows 2000 unless I really, really have to. This is my _Dad's_ computer for cryin' out loud. He couldn't use Windows 2k if he tried. Edited by - Some Guy on April 26, 2001 6:29:51 PM

Win2K will reboot when you hit shutdown for a lot of people too (it does it for me sometimes at random). I''m not sure exactly what to do to fix it (I''m not worried about it, I never turn my machine off) but I think there''s a fix for Win2K at least (probably one for WinME too).

Win2K isn''t that hard to use either. I figured it out without any help really (no books, no manual searching), after moving to it from Win98. Messing with the services and stuff takes a little more experience, but most people don''t need to mess with any of that anyway.

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://druidgames.cjb.net/

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ditch WinME as soon as is humanly possible.

2K is awesome... I use it all the time now, only boot to 98 when I want to play some games or use my other net connection.

If you don''t want to pay for 2k, then switch back to 98 or 98 SE, I guess Microsoft realised the WinME was the last of the 9x codebase and did a shoddy job fixing it up for another release.

Ah well... that''s Microsoft for ya.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I got Me in a sale and tried to install it on my PC. Installed fine, but my system would only run for about 5 mins before freezing for no reason. Tried wiping hard-drive and installing from scratch but had exactly the same problem. The funniest thing though, is the fact that I have another PC in the house that I built with the exact same components, and it installed fine on that PC, and seems to be more stable then 98 was... I''ve had to go back to 98 for my own PC though. Both ran 98 with an equal lack of problems, but one couldn''t run Me. I tries everything I could (even clocked my processor back the original speed ) but nothing seemes to make any difference.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

2K is awesome... I use it all the time now, only boot to 98 when I want to play some games or use my other net connection.

How many OSs can be on one machine? And also, how much does Windows 2k cost and where can I find it?

quote:
Original post by Some Guy
This is my _Dad''s_ computer for cryin'' out loud. He couldn''t use Windows 2k if he tried.

Umm? Using Win2k is exactly like using win9x. The start menu is the same, the taskbar, control panel has a few extra items (administrative tools being the main thing), etc.

The general usage of win2k is identical to using win9x. If he cant use win2k then your pretty much saying he cant use win9x either.

I''m using Windows ME at home and (touch wood) I have had little to no problems with it.

I do not know what all your system specs are but didn''t Windows 95 have a problem with AMD chips a while ago? I know this is a long shot but that could be the problem.

Oh and my system spec is:

Pntium II 333 Ce
128 MB Ram
Matrox 32MB G400 MAX DH
20 GB + 13 GB HDD

The only problem I''ve had so far is when I installed my ZIP650 USB CD-RW Drive. But this was solved with a quick re-install (it was over 6 months since my last re-install) and since then no problems, yet.

When I find my code in tons of trouble,
Friends and colleages come to me,
Speaking words of wisdom:
"Write in C."

quote:
Original post by Steven

I''m using Windows ME at home and (touch wood) I have had little to no problems with it.

I do not know what all your system specs are but didn''t Windows 95 have a problem with AMD chips a while ago? I know this is a long shot but that could be the problem.

Depending on the version of Win95( there were 4 versions fyi ) you had. If you had the lastest ( version D ) you were SORT of OK even with an AMD processor. It still had it''s sahre of problems. Now, what I don''t unserstand is why you bring 95 up when the original message talks about WinME...

Anyhow,

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

My pc is an athlon ~800, geforce2, via chipset system and I went through absolute hell tracking the locking problem. I built the system after a lot of research and all I got was trouble for it.
the kx-133/geforce2 combo was bad enough w/o the locking. I still can''t install linux because the suse7 installation locks up when it hits the first nv15/kx-133 conflict.

Anyways, you can fix it by upping the core voltage for your processor one or two notches, and installing the latest via-4in1 driver pack from viatech.com...anyone know how to install those drivers before running the linux installation???

d e e p s k y . s 5 . c o m

"If builders made buildings the way programmers write
programs, then the first woodpecker to come along would
destroy civilization." -Weinberg''s Law

quote:
Original post by Some Guy

How many OSs can be on one machine? And also, how much does Windows 2k cost and where can I find it?

You can have as many OSs as you care to have partitions. This guy I work with boots Windows 98SE, ME, 2K, NT4, Linux, and BeOS all on the same machine. Don''t ask me why in the name of hell you''d want four different Windows installations on the same computer though.

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

Down with Tiberia!
"All your women are belong to me." - Nekrophidius

I use Windows Me on two computers at home with no problems and no crashes. The best advice I can give you is to do a clean install and download the latest drivers that were designed for Windows Me. My dad''s old FIC VA-503+ motherboard simply wasn''t stable, so I replaced it and did a clean install. Now it hasn''t crashed in weeks.

Drivers are written by tech-savvy people with little or no common sense. ALi''s install/uninstall programs are the only ones that work properly; VIA''s always leave their files loaded after the uninstall. ATI''s drivers have a poor install program that can''t detect multiple installations and fails to uninstall if you don''t uninstall the original drivers before installing the updated drivers. nVidia''s older Detonator drivers often failed to sync the display on my TNT card, making them unusable.

Scenario #1 I go to START>SHUT DOWN>SHUTDOWN, and it-- gasp-- restarts!!!

-No problems for me it shutts down like it should

Scenario #2 I dial up on my 56K, and after a while I disconnect and shut down my computer. The screen turns blue and says "Windows Protection Error... System Halted".

-Dont have that one either

Scenario #3 Oni crashes constantly. Even on my AMD Athlon 128MB-RAM with an nVidia Vanta DDR. What. The. Hell...

-I run Oni a lot, no crashes at all seems very stable

Scenario #4 I hit "Sleep" on my 1-touch keyboard to put the computer in Suspend mode. I move the mouse to "wake it up." Nothing happens.

-Works for me every time

System: AMD 800 w/ 512 MB PC-133 RAM, Geforce2MX, Via Chipset

--------------------------

Whats a pretty girl like you doing in a dirty mind like mine?

I have a P4 1.3 GHz, 128 Megs ram, 64 MB GeForce 2 MX (3D Prophet II), HP One Touch Keyboard and MS Intellimouse Explorer

I have 0 problems with WinME... Everything runs perfectly...

Oni, Black and White, Quake 3, SoF, Half-Life all run like a dream.

My sleep button on my one-touch keyboard works perfectly..

Shutdown shuts the computer down.

Never had a bluescreen.

You can avoid WinME all you like and move on to Win2k, but sooner or later your going to slip up somewhere and then be back here bitching about microsoft.

Well we bought this computer last year at Best Buy. The guy said it was the best computer in the store for your buck. Albeit, there was a HP Pentium 4 machine selling for about $1500, but this was selling for $1300. So we got it.

The best. In. The store. For your buck. Riiiiight.

Not being a hardware-savvy guy in the least bit, I guess my machine is just unstable. Guess that''s why my brother''s Scorpions: Moment of Glory concert DVD9 refuses to work whenever it starts playing "Wind of Change," but my Terminator 2 DVD9 will play with hardly any problems.

So why does Oni crash???? I can''t leave it on for more than 15 minutes before it tweaks out.

(Oh and if you like the Scorpions and don''t know about it, yes they do have a DVD of their Moment of Glory concert with the Berlin Symphony. I suggest you get if you find it.)

I get the blue screen of death at shutdown aswell. Windows used to crash alot for me, about every 20mins or so, I sorted it by degrading the AGP speed from 4x to 2x, and it doesn''t crash anymore! My system is still flaky though, and it does reset instead of shutdown. The new VIA patch that I loaded didn''t seem to do much either.

Oh, and my sleep button also crashes my system. I problem I have is that I only have the first version of 98 as an upgrade. So, to go back to 98 i''d need to install win95, then install 98 on top of that. I really can''t be arsed. Isn''t there a compatability problem with games in Win2K?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Win2k with sp1 seems to be able to run most games well.

I just haven''t been bothered to download sp1 yet (I got a 33.6k dial up ). But apparently one of my buds with cable is dl''ing it for me

Resist... Crappy OS.

Just wanted to ring in and say my HP pentium III 800 Mhz with 256 MB RAM..ect... WinMe runs just fine on here about 99% of the time regardless of how much crap I have running.

I also here it's not a great idea to keep switching OS's and to be careful about installing and removing certain programs. Blue screen of death comes up alot because of .dll errors missing and wrong versions installed.

Edited by - Scooter on April 28, 2001 10:16:40 PM

Well, here''s my $.02...

I started my machine (P3 550 w/256MB and TNT2) with 98SE, and I got ME as soon as it came out. Personally, I was happy with it, until it wouldn''t let me load stuff into high memory because of a memory lockout. After talking to someone who prodded Microsoft into investigating it, I was able to get more free conventional RAM and then got everything running. I actually found a few of my DOS games that RAN under WinME that didn''t under 98SE (The REALLY old DOS games).

I never really had many problems with ME, but I dual boot with Win2k now because I can lock my computer, and it is more stable, and I can run web and ftp server stuff, which ME doesn''t support (at least through PWS). I run 2000 for pretty much everything, except for a couple games that just don''t like it, such as Recoil (never heard of it? Not surprised...).

My only major preference of 2000 over ME is the security and the built-in web services. It''s kinda fun using Movie Maker from 2000, though. Just link to it from ME and it runs perfectly.

Anyway, I prefer 2000 over ME, even though they have the same stability for me. 2000 just has a few more features. And about the reboot thing...I''ve actually experienced that before, but it was 2000 that was doing it, and I''ve had 2000 to the point that every time I went into my mixer for my SBLive! card and clicked on the recording device (or the speaker change button, for that matter) it would immediately reboot. Go figure. This time around it works perfectly. It''s only my third install on this machine. ME has never done that rebooting problem for me, though.

quote:
Original post by Dragonskin

I''ve actually experienced that before, but it was 2000 that was doing it, and I''ve had 2000 to the point that every time I went into my mixer for my SBLive! card and clicked on the recording device (or the speaker change button, for that matter) it would immediately reboot. Go figure.

Win2K will reboot as its default action when it reaches a system hault (a crash that it intercepts, but can''t recover from). You can change the default action in the control panel under "System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery." I''ve only ever seen it do that due to a driver problem, so that''s probably what was/is causing it.

http://druidgames.cjb.net/

Well, finally Oni is working with zero problems-- and I have no idea why. It''s running perfectly all of a sudden, but it''s been giving me problems all week. Still, if I play it, quit and immediately shut down, the blue screen pops up again and I have to push the power button down for ten seconds to turn it off.

Also, the suspend mode is working smoothly, so what I do is just suspend the machine immediately after I quit Oni, leave it like that for a few minutes, then move the mouse and shut it down.

I guess after learning about the problems and seeing what causes and prevents them. So I just work around them. Are there honestly any fixes or something for Windows ME? Honestly.