The Terrors of Windows ME.... (just read it)

Started by
49 comments, last by Some Guy 22 years, 11 months ago
Scenario #1 I go to START>SHUT DOWN>SHUTDOWN, and it-- gasp-- restarts!!! Scenario #2 I dial up on my 56K, and after a while I disconnect and shut down my computer. The screen turns blue and says "Windows Protection Error... System Halted". Scenario #3 Oni crashes constantly. Even on my AMD Athlon 128MB-RAM with an nVidia Vanta DDR. What. The. Hell... Scenario #4 I hit "Sleep" on my 1-touch keyboard to put the computer in Suspend mode. I move the mouse to "wake it up." Nothing happens. Did I scare you? Well just imagine _my_ reaction. Windows 95 was more stable than this heartless crap. Does MS plan on fixing this, because I am not laying down MORE money for Windows 2000 unless I really, really have to. This is my _Dad's_ computer for cryin' out loud. He couldn't use Windows 2k if he tried. Edited by - Some Guy on April 26, 2001 6:29:51 PM
Advertisement
Win2K will reboot when you hit shutdown for a lot of people too (it does it for me sometimes at random). I''m not sure exactly what to do to fix it (I''m not worried about it, I never turn my machine off) but I think there''s a fix for Win2K at least (probably one for WinME too).

Win2K isn''t that hard to use either. I figured it out without any help really (no books, no manual searching), after moving to it from Win98. Messing with the services and stuff takes a little more experience, but most people don''t need to mess with any of that anyway.

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://druidgames.cjb.net/
Ditch WinME as soon as is humanly possible.

2K is awesome... I use it all the time now, only boot to 98 when I want to play some games or use my other net connection.

If you don''t want to pay for 2k, then switch back to 98 or 98 SE, I guess Microsoft realised the WinME was the last of the 9x codebase and did a shoddy job fixing it up for another release.

Ah well... that''s Microsoft for ya.
I would have to agree.
Windows ME is a bad, bad OS.
Install Win2k. Or 98SE. Or Linux. Or FreeBSD. Or (insert any other OS here).

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~mdill
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I got Me in a sale and tried to install it on my PC. Installed fine, but my system would only run for about 5 mins before freezing for no reason. Tried wiping hard-drive and installing from scratch but had exactly the same problem. The funniest thing though, is the fact that I have another PC in the house that I built with the exact same components, and it installed fine on that PC, and seems to be more stable then 98 was... I''ve had to go back to 98 for my own PC though. Both ran 98 with an equal lack of problems, but one couldn''t run Me. I tries everything I could (even clocked my processor back the original speed ) but nothing seemes to make any difference.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

2K is awesome... I use it all the time now, only boot to 98 when I want to play some games or use my other net connection.

How many OSs can be on one machine? And also, how much does Windows 2k cost and where can I find it?
Win98 also reboots after I hit Shutdown... but that is prolly to do with my sound card, coz it never happened before I installed it

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche
quote:Original post by Some Guy
This is my _Dad''s_ computer for cryin'' out loud. He couldn''t use Windows 2k if he tried.

Umm? Using Win2k is exactly like using win9x. The start menu is the same, the taskbar, control panel has a few extra items (administrative tools being the main thing), etc.

The general usage of win2k is identical to using win9x. If he cant use win2k then your pretty much saying he cant use win9x either.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
I''m using Windows ME at home and (touch wood) I have had little to no problems with it.

I do not know what all your system specs are but didn''t Windows 95 have a problem with AMD chips a while ago? I know this is a long shot but that could be the problem.

Oh and my system spec is:

Pntium II 333 Ce
128 MB Ram
Matrox 32MB G400 MAX DH
20 GB + 13 GB HDD

The only problem I''ve had so far is when I installed my ZIP650 USB CD-RW Drive. But this was solved with a quick re-install (it was over 6 months since my last re-install) and since then no problems, yet.

When I find my code in tons of trouble,
Friends and colleages come to me,
Speaking words of wisdom:
"Write in C."
When I find my code in tons of trouble,Friends and colleages come to me,Speaking words of wisdom:"Write in C."My Web Site
quote:Original post by Steven

I''m using Windows ME at home and (touch wood) I have had little to no problems with it.

I do not know what all your system specs are but didn''t Windows 95 have a problem with AMD chips a while ago? I know this is a long shot but that could be the problem.

Depending on the version of Win95( there were 4 versions fyi ) you had. If you had the lastest ( version D ) you were SORT of OK even with an AMD processor. It still had it''s sahre of problems. Now, what I don''t unserstand is why you bring 95 up when the original message talks about WinME...

Anyhow,

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement