The Terrors of Windows ME.... (just read it)

Started by
49 comments, last by Some Guy 22 years, 11 months ago
And yeh.. MS are aiming for a standardized PC platform to eliminate excess drivers and hassle so upgrading your BIOS may also remove the shutdown problem.
If its a Desktop, get the fcc number from the Main board and use altavista to find out the Main Board manufacturer then use WinDrivers.com to go to the downloads page.

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Advertisement
There was a review that was systematically run by PC something (I can''t remember) magazine a while back. It showed the WinME was much less stable in general, and they gave the stats and tests that they used to run it.

I personally don''t think Win2K takes too long to load. It does take longer, but no more than 25 seconds.

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://druidgames.cjb.net/
Load times don''t matter too much when you never reboot

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~mdill
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
python_regious: Just try to do a clean install from the Windows 98 upgrade CD, and when it doesn''t detect that Windows 95 is installed on your hard drive it will ask you for your Windows 95 install CD. Once Windows 98 setup verifies that you have the CD, it will let you install Windows 98 from scratch. The Windows Me upgrade CD works similarly.

Some Guy: Maybe you meant "patches" instead of "patch"? Windows Update has a lot of fixes for Windows Me, Internet Explorer, etc. If you haven''t downloaded them already, I suggest that you do.
I purchased a notebook with ME on it. I get the error message on shutdown and have to pop out the battery to turn it off. If you happen to have any virus protectors on your system, it does not like those. Disable it and see if it helps. I also found a few responses on http://www.techrepublic.com on their forums.

I do not care for ME, either. I don''t know if Microsoft is going to come up with a patch or not. I''ve looked for one online, but haven''t seen anything.
Your ten-second shutdown button is probably enabled in the BIOS... I found it annoying on my puter so I disabled it.

For the modem problem, delete the modem in Hardware Device Manager, reboot, let Windows Plug''n''Play it. Then update the drivers in Modem Control Panel. If this doesn''t fix it, talk to Micron.

Or don''t talk to Micron... telling someone to unplug their power supply is about the lamest thing I''ve heard for fixing a Windows system error.

For the Oni problem, it''s likely a video driver issue. Look for a patch on their site, or try enabling a different rendermode (OpenGL / Direct3D / software -- if they have it). I haven''t played the game but it sounds like a fatal system error that Windows is catching and rebooting on. Or is your video card / system overheating and causing a restart? Try installing mobo/cpu thermal monitor software, and see if this is the case.

For the suspend problem... why even bother? If you really must save money on electrical bills, then turn your computer off when not using it. Otherwise just use a blank screensaver. Seriously, to fix this, learn more about what the suspend feature does. Go into Power Management in Control Panel, and try enabling / disabling different features. See which one is the culprit. Could be your video card has bad drivers or is incompatible with your motherboard, hence the root of all your problems.

And please, be very wary when dealing with technical support. If Micron is giving you hoops to jump through (shutting down in a certain sequence, or unplugging hardware to fix software problems) then go elsewhere for support (even if it''s not under warranty and you must pay for it). Or get a friend who knows what they''re doing, to format and reinstall everything on your system so you KNOW what is done right and what is not. But don''t ever trust a system''s stability if you bought your system from someplace that mass-produces the damn things for trade shows.

(This coming from a tech-support agent who has seen more than he cares to about passing the buck and giving lame solutions.)

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.org

That is too bad for me to hold a copy of Windows ME. It is terrible, always crashes for no reason. Even sometimes I want to kit the computer, but it is not my, haha.....
I have a Abit ZM6 and my keyboard light stays on when the computer is off.

My MS (hehe) keyboard has some pretty bright lights, and it shines onto the ceiling.

*sigh*

------------------------------
"I''m a decorated astronaut, I don''t make those kind of mistakes."
"Oh now wait a minute. Look I''ll show ya. I''ll enter the same calculations using what we like to call ''The Right Way''."

-Rem
------------------------------"I'm a decorated astronaut, I don't make those kind of mistakes.""Oh now wait a minute. Look I'll show ya. I'll enter the same calculations using what we like to call 'The Right Way'."-RemZirem Software
quote:Original post by Remnex

I have a Abit ZM6 and my keyboard light stays on when the computer is off.

My MS (hehe) keyboard has some pretty bright lights, and it shines onto the ceiling.

*sigh*

Unplug it. No more power, no more lights.

And yes I do have to turn my computer off when no one''s using it. California is having a big damn energy crisis and guess who''s stuck right in the middle of it...

Geez this state''s going to hell. Dot-coms are dropping like flies. Everyone is working in Silicon Valley and living or moving some place else so the price of housing is going up for badly built houses. One of the biggest power suppliers just went bankrupt. The writer''s union for movies and TV shows just went on strike and the actor''s union is expected to follow. A lack of enough power is choking us all...

Hey ya know what, why don''t we just get a big damn earthquake to shatter it all, eh?
I have been running WinME without any problems whatsoever.
You think... Therefore, I'm right!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement