Sign in to follow this  
bswc

dx+gdi or dx+sdl or other options?

bswc    122
should i use the combinaton directx and gdi or the combination directx and sdl to make a 2d mmorpg? imo, the second combinatin should be better, sdl is more powerful, it supports Video Events Audio CD-ROM audio Threads Timers Endian independence here is the detailed introducion url. http://www.libsdl.org/intro.en/toc.html and while, one of my colleague tells me that the another option could be direct+gdi, i donot think it will be better than the second alternatives, but it mentions to me that direct+gdi do belong to the same platform. in the second alternatives, sdl is developed to target at developers in linux platform.so there will be some conflicts, of course, there could be a good option if i learn another graphics library such as opengl,and use the combination opengl+sdl. but for now, i just wanna a quick development, i 'd better not spend another time on something which has little connections with the game itself. and more time on the another detail of the game. or any other 2d game engine which can perfectly encapsulate the functionalities the combination may face? any comments can be appreciated! regards, bswc.

dopelganger    127
yes.. take a look at HGE.. it's very fast (based on DX8) and very easy to learn.. you can start your game in minutes..

http://hge.relishgames.com

so if you no need to run your game on linux or mac - try HGE!

bswc    122
actually i have considered HGE, however there is a bottleneck, IMO,HGE can only do sth like rending, while it needs something to draw for him, formerly i used HGE+gdiplus,and gdiplus is responsible for drawing buttons,and strings on the background, and also gdiplus is proved not to be a ideal tool for multimedia application, and game software. it is too slow,and any other better combinations? like HGE+ A certain lib which is similar with GDIPLUS.
and if using HGE, how will u draw the buttons or such to the window?
regards,
bswc.