Doubt about VS 2005.

Started by
5 comments, last by TooOld2rock-nRoll 16 years, 6 months ago
Sorry to bother, I know this is a pretty lame question and probably there must be a thread already asking for this but I not even know how to name it appropriately. How the hell do I tell Visual Studio to search for include paths starting from a root directory and NOT from the file location?? An example: This is my working directory: \Source\components_source And there is this file: components_source\link\device\SBRDevice_link.h With this include: #include "memory\client\SBR_memory.h" The directory memory is on the same level as the link directory and I want VS to use components_source as the root directory and not from SBRDevice_link.h. Have I been clear?
Advertisement
Add the appropriate redirection to include path, something like:"$(SolutionDir)..\" or "$(ProjectDir)..\..\component_source\"
../ goes back a directory.

./ is current directory.

So do:

#include "../a/b/c"
As far as I know this has always worked for me. If I do

#include "memory\client\SBR_memory.h"

it will search from my project root directory. Perhaps you've made inappropriate edits in your project settings?

EDIT: I even tried it now and it definitely works.

.../MyProject/MyFolder/MyHeader.h
.../MyProject/MyFolder2/MyHeader2.h

MyHeader.h:
#include "MyFolder2/MyHeader2.h"

works perfectly fine. Am I misunderstanding you?
Best regards, Omid
This is exactly what I need Antheus.

But where is this include path precisely?
I already look at google and found no helpful information. i even look field by field in the project properties window and found nothing.

Obviously I am missing something.
Quote:Original post by Dogh Quch
This is exactly what I need Antheus.

But where is this include path precisely?
I already look at google and found no helpful information. i even look field by field in the project properties window and found nothing.

Obviously I am missing something.

Project Settings (Alt+F7) -> Configuration Properties -> C/C++ -> General -> Additional Include Directories.
Ok, it's working now.

Thanks A LOT for the help guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement